By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Play is Now the Best Selling Game Ever(w/ exceptions)

Wii sports will probably be No 1 but 1st of january. Thats awesome

Around the Network

Impressive, though I hope it'll be surpassed by NSMB or Kart Wii, because for me, other than Wii Sports, Wii Play has not deserved to be so high up. But it is nice to see that Nintendo has taken backt the top ten.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Look at the gap between that top#10 list and the Wii titles (besides Nintendogs). One SNES game, otherwise its back to GB/NES era...

By end of this generation, expecting at least 6-7 DS/Wii titles:

- WiiFit, WiiSports, WiiPlay, Mario Kart
- Nintendogs, Pokemon (DS), NSMB

That list is going to be smashed - no GC / N64 / PSP / PS1 / PS2 (etc) titles.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Arguably we should be justifying the worth of the title to the person that bought the machine.

Nintendogs = system
SMB = game
Tetris = system
Pokemon = game?
Wii Sports = game
Duck hunt = system (other game)

that way we can save the best titles at the top

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

You know what else happened at the same time? Nintendo now has the 10 best selling games in the world (according to VGChartz). Quite a feat.

Wii Sports Resort might also wrestle itself in there, as well as Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and a couple of DS titles. It might be a bit far-fetched, but Nintendo could own even the top 20 before this generation is over.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

As far as I know, the million sellers list is not according to VGChartz but according to shipment numbers which the publishers are giving out for every game that has shipped more than a million, so this is the most official list you can get actually.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I've checked a few times throughout the Wii's lifetime, and Wii Play has always maintained a 40-50% attach rate. So unless some situation changes, it should be pretty simple to estimate its sales in the future.

A changing situation could be for example some decision regarding Wii Motion Plus changing the benefits of getting Wii Play, or some new Wii Play coming out.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Munkeh111 said:
Impressive sales, though I still don't get it... and I don't get either why 20m people bought nintendogs... I will never understand the appeal of casual games

Do you prefer blondes oer brunettes?  Or chocolate over vanilla?  Perhaps rock over rap?  Maybe you like comedy over westerns.

I think you see what I'm getting at.   Everyone has affintiies that others simply do not share and with therefore be perpelexed at their choices.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Wii Play comes with a Wiimote. Technically every one sold is a bundle. :P

Super Mario Land was never packed in was it?