By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Tengo otra pregunta de la matematicás

It concerns the properties of infinity.

The series of 1-1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1...... is equal to 1/2, or so I've been told.

My question is this: Why?

Why exactly does alternating between 0 and 1 for infinity cause it to end at 1/2?

Why?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

At any point there is a half chance to hit either one?
Just a guess.

Hey! I knew what the title ment!
OT: If it's infinite, then it has no answer since the equation never ends... I dunno, ignore me.

I have no idea. Infinity is a complex branch of mathematics.. That is why I am asking.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

@RCTjunkie

Then, how come 0.(9) is equal to 1 if there is no end?

I know some very basic concepts of infinity, but I am absolutely clueless concerning this.

OT: I congratulate you on knowing what the title meant since it is only Eigth Grade Spanish.

EDIT: Horrible dtewi! How dare I put a comma after meant! Commas do not seperate independent and subordinate clauses when the subordinate clause is at the end of the sentence!

dtewi levels up to Grammar Nazi!

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:

@RCTjunkie

Then, how come 0.(9) is equal to 1 if there is no end?

I know some very basic concepts of infinity, but I am absolutely clueless concerning this.

OT: I congratulate you on knowing what the title meant since it is only Eigth Grade Spanish.

EDIT: Horrible dtewi! How dare I put a comma after meant! Commas do not seperate independent and subordinate clauses when the subordinate clause is at the end of the sentence!

dtewi levels up to Grammar Nazi!

0.(9) = 1 is still up to debate. Infinite means never ending, doesn't it? Then if a problem doesn't end, then how does it have an answer?

And I'm currently in Spanish 1, so even if it's basic, knowing a new language, even a little, still has its charm.

0.(9

I'd love to help you, but series is not my speciality, so I don't know much about it. Still, what I do know, is that the expected value of that series (which is not calculus, but probablity) IS 1/2, but that's not the result of the series, it's like an average of a thousand of experiments, just as if you rolled a dice infinite times, the expected value (that is, the average of all the result) would be 3.5, even though you'd never get that result in the dice.

Also, you spelled matemáticas wrong, the accent goes on the second a, not the third And you forgot an s, "las matemáticas)

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Just because a noun ends in 's' does not mean it is plural. Also, I am sure the accent is over the third a.

EDIT: It is the second a. Wrong on that.

But I do not need las!

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Why the heck are you studying that kind of things in your school? It's some sort super-geniuses school or what?

And yes, you spelled "matemáticas" wrong, the strong "a" is the 2nd, not the 3rd. And yes, "matemáticas" IS plural, you need the "las". Actually, you don't need it, you could've said "Tengo otra pregunta de matemáticas" and it would be ok. Like you said it, it would be "I have another question of the math", not "I have another math question"

Nah. I just look at some math topics out of curiosity. Have you ever read my profile?

Also, if matematicas is plural, what is the singular form? Matematica?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you