By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Silly hypothetical Wii series question

If they were to unbundle Wii Sports and Wii Play and sell them as standalone software, would Wii Fit(still with the balance board) be able to pass them by in sales eventually?

To give a helping hand, we all know the difference in worth for Wii Play is $10 and let's say for this argument that Wii Sports is $20. Could the $90 Wii Fit eventually sell greater than the unbundled dynamic duo? At least Wii Play?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

well wii play is $10, as you said.. i think it is more than worth it for its value, and would have gotten it for that price were it actually that price.. i still play it once a fortnight (Tanks, primarily)

If wii sports/wii play were suddenly unbundled - wii fit would struggle to catch up, because I don't think the sales of those two games would slow down by more than half the current rate (maybe three quarters for wii sports) they are selling at.. and they already have such a large advantage in LTD sales

Wii Play would be less without the contoller and obviously wiisport would be less....

If wiisports were not bundled... the Wii would not be where it is... I have no doupt about that in my mind.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

First, Wii Fit is selling to a different audience and Wii play or Wii sports bundled or unbundled could not stop it's sales. The target audience is completely different.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

I really don't think its a feasable theory anymore. If they un bundled WS starting from the launch it wouldn't have mattered that much, it would have been marketed and sold to the same audiences for the exact same reasons.

WS just would have sold out more often to a few less people who couldn't get both at the same time.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

To the last three people. I think you're all taking this a bit too seriously and real worldly. It's supposed to be a hypothetical question inside a vacuum world. Obviously it's not feasible, I'm sure they attract different audiences, and I know the Wii would never have been what it was without Wii Sports. You're looking too far into the question.

I was really just asking if Nintendo unbundled the games and sold them seperately, would Wii Fit outsell them or not?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

ok no, without a doubt if this alternative universe was exactly the same as this one, only that WS and WP were un bundled, Wii Fit would not sell as many copies as WS.

Infact there is most likely a significant snowball effect arising from WS use and popularity that allowed WF to become the proxy sequel to WS and sell as much as it has. This also explains why WM is not part of the Wii specific subgenre in terms of sales.

I should add as far as we can tell so far anyway

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Onyxmeth , I say yes, If Wii fit keeps the balance board. There's still a chance that It will pass Wii play bundle though.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

I think that fit would outsell them for sure.

OT: wii play is going for around 20 on ebay. So I got an extra controller for 10 less than normal. :) I'll never complain about buying this game again.

Wii Sports is a full (or close to full) price game in japan, and is the best selling (non portable) game there, ahead of even Wii Fit