By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Frost/Nixon review and response: Emotion

I found it to contain both angles.  It was bipartisan and it showed the emotions on both sides of the angle--the celebrations of the libs and hippies and the sorrow and loneliness of the Nixon crowd.  It sparked emotion from both viewpoints just like the original and all movies should.

As far as response, yes, I am a Republican and I may have some bias.  Still, I find some sympathy no matter how it may be construed for President Nixon.  Yes, he did some things that were bad and illegal.  Yes, he tried to make his point clear but was criticized by his opponents and his peers but the point is there is a shread of thing called sympathy that after all the things had passed he was lonely for the rest of his days until he died in 1994 of a stroke.  Some may call me corrupt for even suggesting sympathy for him--it is a highly liberal day.  Still, it has to be recommended that some good came from the man whose enemies closed in on him from childhood -- his abusive father, the deaths of his brothers-- it would drive many off the edge.  Conversely, it made him stronger and in the end, the circle was complete.  He had gone from criticism to star to criticism and he regretted it in the interview if not so much by words, by emotion.  This may lead even the hardest to wonder what it must have been like.

Overall: 8.5/10

Around the Network

Thanks for the review, it actually makes me want to see it more.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Nixon was one of our best presidents. Who cares what he did, he was good for our country.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

From '99

Nixon legacy still sparks debate, 25 years after resignation

August 8, 1999
Web posted at: 7:30 p.m. EDT (2330 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (AllPolitics, August 8) -- Twenty-five years after President Richard Nixon resigned in disgrace during the Watergate scandal, the debate continues over the true legacy of one of the century's most controversial political figures.
Nixon resigns
Nixon told the nation, "I shall resign the presidency effective at noon tomorrow"

Nixon was forced to resign after secret tape recordings he made revealed that he tried to thwart an investigation of the break-in at the offices of the Democratic National Committee during the 1972 presidential campaign.

He announced his resignation on August 8, 1974. It took effect the next day, when Gerald Ford assumed the presidency.

"To leave office before my term is completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body," Nixon said in announcing he would step aside. "But, as president, I must put the interests of America first."

In the years that followed, Nixon tried hard to establish himself as an elder statesman. While he was embraced by many world leaders before his death in 1994, many Americans who had lived through the constitutional crisis spawned by Watergate saw the rehabilitation quest as an attempt to downplay his complicity.
The Nixons
In later years, Nixon sought to establish himself as an elder statesman

"One of the things that happened is, after he left office, he began gradually taking back the notion that he had done anything wrong," said Carl Bernstein, a journalist who helped break the Watergate story for The Washington Post.

"We know from the tapes that have come out since his death that Watergate was just a small part of a truly criminal presidency," Bernstein said in an interview Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press."

To a large degree, the people of the United States appear not to have forgiven Nixon. The public was asked to judge the performance of five recent presidents in a 1998 Gallup poll. Nixon not only had the lowest approval rating among the five; he was the only one whose rating went down from a previous poll in 1993.

And a just completed CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll shows that a quarter century after Nixon left the White House, 72 percent of those polled think Nixon's actions regarding Watergate were serious enough to warrant his resignation.

"Nixon's resignation was about corruption of the worst sort in a democracy," said Richard Dallek, a presidential historian. "It was an assault upon a presidential election."

Indeed, Bernstein's partner in breaking the Watergate story, Bob Woodward, argues in his new book "Shadow" that Nixon's behavior during Watergate was such a monumental event that it altered the very nature of the presidency for his successors.

But Nixon -- who served in both houses of Congress and as vice president and who thawed relations with China and Russia -- has his defenders. Curators at his presidential library in Yorba Linda, California, try hard to counter the Watergate caricature of Nixon by showing the 145,000 annual visitors both his defeats and triumphs.

Nixon biographer Irwin Gellman says that many people in the media and academic world "simply don't want to reflect on the positive side of this man and basically look upon whatever he did that was anything more than negative as irrelevant."

Ray Price, who helped write the speech that Nixon used to end his presidency, believes that "eventually he will be viewed as one of our great presidents."

"But this will not be until the commentators and historians who have either invested their reputations or built their reputations on the 'devil theory' are no longer doing it," Price said.

That was an irony Nixon apparently understood. Twenty-five years ago, as Nixon prepared to hand over the presidency to Ford, then-Secretary of State Henry Kissinger reportedly told Nixon that history would remember him well.

Ever the astute politician, Nixon reportedly replied, "Well, that depends on who writes the history."

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/08/nixon.25/

ssj12 said:
Nixon was one of our best presidents. Who cares what he did, he was good for our country.

I can't say I agree with this even though I agree that people often forget the good things Nixon did.  I wish more Presidents had as good of foreign policy acheivements as Nixon.

The President should be held to a higher standard than anyone else in our country.  I mean he is the President after all.  Simply giving him a free pass because he did good things is the kind of talk that creates dictatorships.  Results are not the only thing that matter.  The nature of the President's conduct is just as important.

I definitely want to see this movie in any case.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I can't believe you like that tree hugging hippy liberal nixon anyway...He started the EPA, SSI (nanny state) and OSHA(hippies need safety box cutters). He was definitely a liberal. Apparently, if they go by 'republican' you have a predisposition to liking them?

"Turning now to the rest of the agenda for 1974, the time is at hand this year to bring comprehensive, high quality health care within the reach of every American. I shall propose a sweeping new program that will assure comprehensive health insurance protection to millions of Americans who cannot now obtain it or afford it"-Nixon state of the union 74. and he wanted to socialize health insurance...wow. Just wow.

@jv Those where started when he was pressured by the left to do so. If he would have done nothing he would have been criticized yet again...

I think he was just more like Ike. Domestically he was liberal with money. Hell he even negotiated the cease-fire to end Vietnam, although democrats started that war. Funny how everything changes. I don't think it was at the behest of the left. I think he was just a populous who did domestically what it took to make the American people happy at the time. 

You were right, I cried.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Damn, that good huh?

you guys know the real interview is out on DVD now? All 28 hours of its glory.