By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA laments the new IPs gamers begged for aren't selling that well.

two words - Track Record

Just cause EA suddenly started releasing quality title doesn't mean they've suddenly reached the level of Blizzard or Valve...

or do they really think they can overcome the years of crappy titles in a single year?

But its still a good start..

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

The main problem is that EA is still being douche bags with their horrid decision to use Securom on their PC games. This is why their PC software isnt selling how they should. They are causing their own problems.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

EA needs another Battlefield 1942.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The main problem with both New IPs was that they weren't that good.

They were new and fresh, but they weren't huge games, and neither had as big of a marketing push as a Madden or NBA Live.

As much as they did try, they didn't try hard enough to get these games out there.

I can't wait til both games are 30 bucks a piece on Amazon after Christmas. I'm going to buy like it's 1999.

ssj12 said:
The main problem is that EA is still being douche bags with their horrid decision to use Securom on their PC games. This is why their PC software isnt selling how they should. They are causing their own problems.

Dude, EA complained about the disappointing sales of Mirror's Edge, Rock Band 2 and Need for Speed Undercover - all of them for PS360 (NFS being on more systems). It was the PS3 and Xbox 360 fanbase that did not buy EA's games.

PC is untouchable on this matter, with Spore selling like hotcakes, and Warhammer Online getting some subsciptions pie.

All this further enforces EA's strategy of focusing more on PC and online business.

Around the Network

I bought Dead Space. I skipped out on Mirror's Edge, but will probably pick it up at some point. And I hate EA!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

The hate that EA has earned will take time to wear off. They don't just release a couple of new, original (DRM infested) titles and ... hey presto! - everyone loves them again.

It can take years to build up a loyal fanbase - but only takes months to ruin it.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Maybe they sould learn that people begging for new IP on the Internet are a minority. I enjoyed a lot of EA's games this year like Boom Blox or Mirror's Edge. However, the average gamer doesn't know about those games.

Anyway, EA will adjust itself over time so I don't fear for them. The company that will suffer in the coming years (most likely 3-4 years) is Activision as the music games market will get satured (like it had for the DDR games) and the newer Call of Duty will sell less and less each time. I think they'll be back to the shovelware company they were last gen (and still are if you forget the 2 IP I mentionned).

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

They have HEAPS of IPs - try something more casual (read - not a shooter!), and try bringing it to the masses (i.e. the Wii).

Their other problem is just their size. They are so ridiculously huge - they need to sell a ridiculous number of units just to break even. A few hits per year just won't do it for them.

And games like NFS have just gone out of style - I personally think the racing genre itself is close to dead (virtually maxed out at the PS2 generation, nothing really new coming in - just more of the same).

The delay to the Harry Potter game is what really hurt them - would have been an instant buy for me (quite enjoyed the last one), and they could have sold a quidillion copies.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Dead Space was a superb game, and I rewarded EA's effort by purchasing the game. It is a shame that it has not hitherto sold one million combined on the PS3 and 360.