By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does the Xbox 720 need Blu-ray to succeed?

Comrade Tovya said:
No, DVD is not good enough for the next XBOX... developers were already starting to complain about the DVD-9 space limitations even prior to the release of the 360.

Do I think the next format will be Blu-ray? No way.

I think their are TONS of other options that don't include paying their competitor royalty fees by using BD as the media format.

They already pay their competitors royalties to use DVDs and that didn't stop them, why would it suddenly do so for blu-ray?

Also, MS indirectly receives royalties from blu-ray anyway (VC-1), so it isn't totally against their interests.

Around the Network
Katilian said:
Comrade Tovya said:
No, DVD is not good enough for the next XBOX... developers were already starting to complain about the DVD-9 space limitations even prior to the release of the 360.

Do I think the next format will be Blu-ray? No way.

I think their are TONS of other options that don't include paying their competitor royalty fees by using BD as the media format.

They already pay their competitors royalties to use DVDs and that didn't stop them, why would it suddenly do so for blu-ray?

Also, MS indirectly receives royalties from blu-ray anyway (VC-1), so it isn't totally against their interests.

The royalties for DVD is significantly less than that of the Blu-ray standard, which is understandable because it's newer and much more superior.

And the royalties they would pay out for using Blu-ray are more than the discount they would receive for VC-1.  There are alternatives, and MS will use them, mark my word.

I'm not a Blu-ray hater either, I have LOADS of Blu-ray movies, I love the format.  I just know that MS will not help Sony by filling their coffers for every XBOX 720 game that is sold.  It's just doesn't make sense when their are other alternatives out there that are cheaper and ones that don't help their competitor.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

I would like to see MS move to a mixed cartridge/digital distribution method for the 3rd Xbox. The world won't be ready for a full download service, but it would help MS move to a download only model for the 4th system.

If they use an optical media format then I think an HDDVD laser for games only would help combat piracy issues, plus depending on it's adoption by 2012ish, it probably wouldn't cost much more to include a dual format drive which can play BluRay for movie playback only.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Whatever is chosen, sony will not be in the driver seat for negotiations.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

mrstickball said:
It comes down to simple economics, for Microsofts next choice.

If the Blu-Ray provides the cheapest, most reliable, easy to manufacture, option...Then MS will do it. Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray association, as far as I know, does. Sony is only 1 part of that association....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft already pays Sony for Sony Pictures movies via Netflix and the Marketplace, right? So why is Blu-Ray any different?

Going into the future, Microsoft will look at every format - BR-DVD, HDDVD, HVD, and a litany of other formats, and chose what is the best. I think they'll certainly use something bigger than DVD, and preferably in the 20gb+ range, but I am unsure. I think they should use BR-DVD if it's cheap enough to produce by 2011, but we'll see.

I agree with mrstickball, money talks.  Though I don't think MS would go with HD-DVD since that would not at all be cost feasible.  Replication lines for HD-DVD's have been scrapped, so MS would essentially have to pay to get lines installed since it would be the only company even using the technology.  Economies of scale wouldn't help that much either since no one else would jump on board with HD-DVD.

I'll eat one of my shirts if MS goes with HD-DVD.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Maybe MS will introduce a new and improved HD-DVD,one that can be played in old players but twice the disc space as the one,maybe 30-40 gigs single layered?

Garnett said:
Maybe MS will introduce a new and improved HD-DVD,one that can be played in old players but twice the disc space as the one,maybe 30-40 gigs single layered?

I heard of work on expanding the dvd to a larger size, which would alleviate the space restrictions of the current dvd...oh...btw, I vote for the Japanese girl's return...now what movie is that from?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Garnett said:

I heard of work on expanding the dvd to a larger size, which would alleviate the space restrictions of the current dvd...oh...btw, I vote for the Japanese girl's return...now what movie is that from?

lol,i know but i dont know...erm i forgot what the name is :p

Looking at the sales recently, it really doesn't look like Blu-Ray is a big factor. I would say no to MS putting a Blu-Ray player into the 720, if only for the fact that every time they sold a console, Sony would snicker at them and collect the change.

Just kiss the tip.

Um. New optical disc formats don't just up and get invented. Blu-Ray has already cemented itself in-place as the next major optical disc format, whether its taking over DVD's movie marketshare as quickly as analysts expected is immaterial.

If MS were actually planning on releasing a "XBox 720" that was anything more than marginally better than the 360, they would, indeed, use Blu-Ray, or a derivative format (which would still incur royalties to the BDA).

However, Since MS wants to compete with Nintendo, not Sony, because of Nintendomination, DVD-9 may be just fine for their "next" (read: "repackaged 360") console.