By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY - Heavy Rain to be of a new genre -- "Interactive Drama"

I'm not sure if I'll get flamed for this,
but that's sounds corny, "interactive drama"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

*Puts up flame shield*
Now I know this isn't my kind of game. If I wanted to play this kind of game, I could just buy a copy of Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire for the Playstation.

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P

CGI-Quality said:
HEAVY RAIN!!!!!! I've been summoned - a thread about my baby, thanks darth. Yea to the folks who r misinformed about this game, don't worry the blanks will be filled in. This game won't just be a bunch of (scenes). There won't really be “cut scenes” as every scene in the game is interactive. If you haven't seen the 30 minute footage of it, check GT. They've got it. I know lots of people are confused on what this is but judging from most PS3 exclusives, this one will have an excellent story. This game is set to have the player emotionally involved in the plot/story. So the story shouldn't lack at all. I personally have had my eye on this baby VERY closely since it was first revealed in May 06 at E3. This is my most anticipated game this gen with Alan Wake behind it and Killzone 2 at #3. Great times ahead for gamers. I will be more than happy to inform anyone any known info about HEAVY RAIN!!!!! since I'm following it so closely. My GOSH I need this game....NOW!!!!!

Is it going to be like indigo Prohecy? i really enjoyed that game, though the story was a bit wiered. Definately keeping my eyes out on this one

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

tombi123 said:
I am looking forward to this game. It could be the 2009 version of LittleBigPlanet in terms of uniqueness and originality.

it will exactly be that as it's doing exactly the same thing.

Ripping off an unpopular computer genre and claiming it's original.

....... A new genre??? ...... sorry this's just too much, it's like Sony's denaying the entire videogame history.

Around the Network

I can't wait.

ick... I don't think this game is going to be for me. I don't like when games take themselves too seriously. Hopefully the gameplay will deliver.

Soleron said:
HappySqurriel said:

"Interactive Drama" it hasn't (really) been tried since the early 1990s with CD-Rom games that were (almost) always awful ...

If you need INSTRUCTIONS on how to get through the HOTELS, check out the enclosed instruction booklet.

--

This kind of thing is what got Sony into the PS3 situation: games that are expensive to develop, appeal to few becasue the focus on cinematics takes away from gameplay and value, and end up failing in the market. Lair was the perfect example of that.

Good storylines appeal to a much wider audiance than good gameplay. Hence why books and movies are far more mainstream than are videogames. If anything, this kind of cinematic game will help propel the ps3 toward a much wider userbase.

@ CGI-Quality

Are you a developer?

Member #50 of the Sonic Support Squad! :P

Solid_Raiden said:
Riachu,
Yea, I've heard graphic whores say how beautiful and how great the graphics are but is that enough? I never hear anyone talk about the actual game, you know?

The gameplay doesn't matter as much as the storyline. Hence why no one cares about the gameplay in this particular case.