By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Question about Wii Full Screen?

Umm hey, I just got a new Wii since i've moved away from home. (parents wouldnt let me take the one at home) Now, I noticed that not all my games on my new tv on my new wii will play in complete full screen. At home, they all played fine in 480p 16x9, but now everything is different. I tested all my games and this is how it goes.

Wii menu: full screen
Wii Sports: full screen
Zelda TP: full screen
Mario Galaxy: full screen
Okami: about an inch of black bar on the sides
Super Paper Mario: same as okami.
Boom Blox: 2 inches on the sides and a half inch on the top and bottom.
Monkey Ball Banana Blitz: same as boom blox.

I have my Wii set to 16x9 480p. And my tv is set to 16x9. I have the component cables. Is there something I overlooked here or is my tv just retarded? I have a 32inch LCD 1080p.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network

Hunh what? That sounds kinda strange... I recall having a similar problem with a tv at a friend's house. Does your tv have any more settings other than 4:3 or 16:9? If so, you should try some of those, maybe they'll work. They did at my friend's tv.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

No none of the other settings make it right. I donno whats going on here! Its not a huge deal or anything. But I'm just wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening. Maybe try a different input on the back of my tv?

Hmm, well, that's just weird then. :s Dunno what it could be, if you have an HD tv and component cables, your tv's set to 16:9 and your Wii's set to 480p then it should all be working fine.. Maybe you should try consulting your tv's manual, or check Nintendo's customer service page: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/index.jsp

nah, nintendo support never has fixes for real issues. Just the dumb people ones. I guess i'll just have to bring my wii home when i go home for xmas. and see if it does the same on the tv at home. maybe try using a different component input on my tv and see if that helps. cause its not random. i checked some games 3 or 4 times. and theyre the same all the time. its not random. so i dont think theres anything wrong with the wii.

Around the Network

Hm, yeah well that's weird then. And yeah, it doesn't sound like it's random or anything's wrong with your Wii.. Well good luck with it, hope you find a solution.

I have this same thing on a 32" Samsung. Some games like you say are full full screen and others are leaving like an inch or so on the sides. I think that it might be the game and not the system. I do remember Okami doing this but not sure about the others.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

For Okami, those black bars are supposed to be there.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=35874

I can't speak for the rest, but it is interesting that SPM has black bars.