By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii or DS more important for Nintendo?

dolemit3 said:

I remember Nintendo mentioning that the DS was their maker/breaker for the company but do you think the Wii is now just as important for their success as a game console manufacturer?

That was a long time ago. They said that if the DS didn’t succeed then the Wii would probably fail to because both of them have the same approach to the market i.e. innovative new and easy ways to play games.  

That’s why they said that the DS would be the “third pillar” so if the DS wouldn’t work they would just do another GB. It would be like a backup strategy.

To answer your q, yes it is just as important as the DS is, in fact I think more important. You can do so much more on a home console than you cold on a handheld.  

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

The DS. Wii is very important though. I doubt Nintendo thinks as one being more important than the other, but Wii is probably their software focus until 3rd party's get it together like they have on DS.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Definately the Wii.

The DS was the market leader, and while it expanded the market heavily, it just kept its position. The real miraculous thing it did is that it sells a lot more SW than the previous handhelds (GBA had 4.5 games pr machine, DS now has 5.5 or something)

What the Wii did, was to go from being the loser of the last generation, to becomming as big a success as the DS. If the Wii hadn't taken off, Nintendo might have been pushed out of the console buisiness (as in withdrawn, as they stopped earning money on it).

The difference is:

The DS is the Ps2. It was the market leader, and went even higher, and selling even more software.

The Wii is the Ps1. It came from nowhere and took the market completely.

Of course, the DS isn't the Ps2 completely (nor the Wii the Ps1), as it did something revolutionary, but still - it was in a position to do so. The Wii wasn't.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Both they sell heaps and rake in lots of money.

i would say both are as important as the other. The DS set nintendo on thier way to making the WII, but it was essential for the wii to get 1st place in the console race for this gen. The handheld market was already won for nintendo.

SSBB Code: 5327-2374-8112

MKWii Code : 3780-9266-6102

CoD WaW Code: 1376-1190-5157

Around the Network

The Wii is more important. Video game companies are judged on their consoles much more than their handhelds. Just look at the PS-PS2 era! Sony was doing so well that analysts quickly assumed PSP would be a sure win. And now...

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here