By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who do you want to run against Obama in 2010?

Have you looked at the people I mentioned kasz? I picked many potentials. Mitt Romeny, Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin, Rob Thune, Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee, Michael Steele, Charlie Christ, Mike Sanford, Tim Pawlenty, Jeb Bush (more likely in 2016), etc, etc.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
To follow the baseball analogy.

Say you are the manager of the Red Sox. You do everything honestly... refuse dirty players etc.

Now you have the yankees as a team all corking their bats. As such they have huge advantages and are pretty much kicking your ass a lot of the time.

Perhaps the honest manager tired of the cheating and losing decides to let a few people who take steroids in to even things up.

Not a lot... just a few to make things competitive while he keeps honest players where he can. However lots of players see what the steroids do, and now the floodgate is off.

It's easy.

OK, but your example would REALLY be more like one team is corking bats, so the other team decides to get "even" by corking bats AND going on steroids. 

I still don't see that the first team can be blamed for the steroids.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

halogamer1989 said:
Is this thread about baseball of the candidate running against Obama in 2012. To all spammers: GET OFF MY THREAD!

I don't see any spam in this thread.  Relax, the baseball stuff is just an analogy I'm using since "cork" and "roid" are a lot shorter to type than the political stuff, and a lot nicer than other four letter words.  Hell, I don't even follow the sport.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

halogamer1989 said:
Have you looked at the people I mentioned kasz? I picked many potentials. Mitt Romeny, Bobby Jindal, Sarah Palin, Rob Thune, Newt Gingrich, Mike Huckabee, Michael Steele, Charlie Christ, Mike Sanford, Tim Pawlenty, Jeb Bush (more likely in 2016), etc, etc.

You mentioned those people?  Where?  I don't remember seeing you name [edited] Thune, Steele, Christ, Sanford, Pawlenty, or Jeb in this thread.  I haven't even HEARD of half those people. 

Of that list, I'd be most likely to tolerate Pawlenty because, although I disagree with him on many things, I know him well enough to be confident that he's not a complete lunatic -- his biggest flaw that I'm aware of is his slavish opposition to any and all tax increases no matter what.  Romney would be second place. 

I don't see how you think Jeb Bush could be any kind of possibility -- the brand name is stained for at least a decade.  Whatever your opinion of the current President, you have to admit that the public HATES him.  They're going to be biased against his brother.

Final-Fan said:
halogamer1989 said:
Is this thread about baseball of the candidate running against Obama in 2012. To all spammers: GET OFF MY THREAD!

I don't see any spam in this thread.  Relax, the baseball stuff is just an analogy I'm using since "cork" and "roid" are a lot shorter to type than the political stuff, and a lot nicer than other four letter words.  Hell, I don't even follow the sport.

Alright then.  Just try to be as OT as you can be.  BTW, while Jindal was here in VA the other day he said he was not going to run in 2012 which is what any politician would say to not give away the upper hand.  Still, he is only 37.  That said, Romney is a slick machine that will only bring the "look at those rich, country club Repug" mentality.  I agree with Romney esp. in this economic climate but his past pro-choice will hurt him.

Jeb is a lot more politically savvy than George.  GHWB wanted his favorite son to run but GWB got it and the two have been distant on that as a result.

Around the Network

I'm not saying you're wrong about Jeb Bush, I'm just saying that his brother ruined his chances because everyone who hates George is going to look REALLY hard at another Bush running for the White House. Wasn't he involved in the Schiavo mess? That's going to hurt too.

Final-Fan said:
I'm not saying you're wrong about Jeb Bush, I'm just saying that his brother ruined his chances because everyone who hates George is going to look REALLY hard at another Bush running for the White House. Wasn't he involved in the Schiavo mess? That's going to hurt too.

Yeah.  Well it looks like Jeb is going to run for Mel Martinez's Senate seat in 2010.  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/us/04brfs-JEBBUSHSHOWS_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=us  This might be a way for him to stay in politics w/o running for Prez.

It is ironic that you describe Romney as a "slick machine" As I have maintained, Romney has an unsavory oleaginous quality. Steele is an interesting choice. If he wins the chairmanship of the RNC, he will receive a substantial boost in publicity. He also has a few stances (supports affirmative action) that temper his otherwise staunch conservatism; however, I am unsure if a minority candidate is a viable choice for Republicans. If they are willing to nominate him, he would be a wise choice.

Apparently McCain isn't ready to say he would support Palin.

McCain: I can't promise to support Palin for president

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/14/mccain.senate/index.html

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

halogamer1989 said:
Final-Fan said:
Yeah.  Well it looks like Jeb is going to run for Mel Martinez's Senate seat in 2010.  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/us/04brfs-JEBBUSHSHOWS_BRF.html?_r=1&ref=us  This might be a way for him to stay in politics w/o running for Prez.

I'm sure he has a much better chance in local/regional politics because the people know HIM, not just his brother.  According to that artcle he seems to enjoy some popularity.