By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could Gen 7 be the first gen ever to have no new companys?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Dreamcast 2!

Exactly, that would be awesome... but then of course Sega would actually have to spend money to market their console, so I'd to see a nice little console bomb twice in less than 10 years.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

Pay attention, kids.

Kasz216 said:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/12/tectoys-zeebo-gaming-console-to-run-on-3g-network-in-brazil/
BrainBoxLtd said:

And let's not forget the Vii.

scottie said:
There are a couple of entrants to the console wars this gen

The Pandora by OpenPandora
the GP2XWiz by Gamepark Holdings
and the Zeebo by Tectoy
thetonestarr said:
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but there are a ton of Gen 7 companies. Each gen, however, there are only a few "big" companies. That's how it always is.

In Gen 3, most Americans thought it was only Nintendo making gaming consoles. We all know that to be very untrue - SEGA was huge in Europe with the Master System.

This gen, we've got three big names, but there are a ton of smaller names. Heck, SEGA is even re-entering system making with the SEGA Vision portable media & game player.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but there are a ton of Gen 7 companies. Each gen, however, there are only a few "big" companies. That's how it always is.

In Gen 3, most Americans thought it was only Nintendo making gaming consoles. We all know that to be very untrue - SEGA was huge in Europe with the Master System.

This gen, we've got three big names, but there are a ton of smaller names. Heck, SEGA is even re-entering system making with the SEGA Vision portable media & game player.

Where are you getting your information from? No sarcasm intended, I mean I would really like to know where info on these systems are.

With regards to your gen 3 example, I think its bearing on this thread in somewhere in the neighborhood of zero. I don't doubt there were members of the GP and even some gamers who had no knowledge of Sega in the 80s. But this isn't the 80s (ie we all have the internet), and this isn't a forum populated by people who only play games in passing. If there are consoles that are unknown to many members of VGC, they are way more obscure than Sega was in the US in the 80s.

From Wikipedia, sources checked and confirmed:

* Game Wave Family Entertainment System (ZAPiT Games), October 2005
* Gizmondo (Tiger Telematics), March 19, 2005
* GP2X (GamePark Holdings), November 10, 2005
* Evo: Phase One (Envizions Computer Entertainment), October 20, 2006
* HyperScan (Mattel), October 2006
* iPod Touch (Apple Inc), September 13, 2007
* Vii (Beijing Shituan), 2007
* N-Gage (Nokia), April 3, 2008
* SEGA Vision (Sega), 2009
* Zeebo, 2009

Each holds legal status as a video gaming system and is therefore considered part of the seventh generation of videogaming. Some compete more with the "big three" than others, but all are still very much a part of the 7th gen.

SW-5120-1900-6153