By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you remember when....?

Do you remember when, in 2002-2005, everybody thought Nintendo was going to drop out of the console race? Haha, those guys. Little did they know, right?

I guess, little did anyone know! I just figured Nintendo would release another more powerful console with a new controller (normal controller) but they went and made a wonderful thing, and are on their way to console domination. Did anyone here honestly expect this? I for one always wanted Nintendo to dominate again but I seriously doubted it was gonna happen this generation.

Who honestly thought Nintendo was going to do this well? Anyone?

Around the Network
z64dan said:

Do you remember when, in 2002-2005, everybody thought Nintendo was going to drop out of the console race? Haha, those guys. Little did they know, right?

I guess, little did anyone know! I just figured Nintendo would release another more powerful console with a new controller (normal controller) but they went and made a wonderful thing, and are on their way to console domination. Did anyone here honestly expect this? I for one always wanted Nintendo to dominate again but I seriously doubted it was gonna happen this generation.

Who honestly thought Nintendo was going to do this well? Anyone?

When I first heard about it back in '06 I knew the potential was there, but I definitely doubted that they could pull it off. And not because I thought it would be bad but because I thought all the fanboy troll hatred excuses that got used on the Wii were going to be able to demean it enough to make it un-ownable.  I am glad I was wrong about that though. And I put my money where my mouth was and got one on Day 3 of launch week.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Well when I heard about the Wii controller, the first thing I thought is, it will sell loads because in my mind i thought, what's better pressing square to do a lob in tennis, or motioning it with your own hand. My mentality was always, this will sell. I was slightly taken aback that the graphics capability wasn't going to be as powerful as the 360 and ps3, but i appreciated the fact that they had to make it so it would be in the mass market budget. I got mine on the day of launch- Dec 8th in the UK. =D

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Me, being a Nintendo fan, did not ever expect this. When I saw the Wii remote I was sooo excited and loved it the minute i saw the videos of how it worked. But I always had the sinking feeling that only the Nintendo faithfulls will buy it.

I think this is the only time in my life that I'm happy I was wrong. Seriously.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

I didn't expect the Wii, but I sure as hell didn't expect Nintendo to drop out of the console race either. Typically a company only does that if they can't turn a profit in that sector, and the Gamecube was plenty profitable.

My first thought when I saw the Wii Remote was "Wow, this has a lot of potential to be awesome, but it also has a lot of potential for immature people to piss all over it, like every other Nintendo product."  I'm glad the general public turned out to be more mature than I gave them credit for, and are willing to try the Wii.

Around the Network

I didn't see Nintendo leaving the console market, but I didn't see this level of success either. When the motion controls were revealed I knew the Wii/Rev would do quite a bit better than the Cube, but again, didn't see it going this well. I really thought after Christmas 07 Sony would have surpassed MS and never been behind Nintendo in the first place. Of course, crap happens: like a ($)600 pound monkey on your back, the masses buying Nintendo consoles again, and every 360 owner buying 300 games a month.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Do you remember when, in 2002-2005, everybody thought Nintendo was going to drop out of the console race?

I would not say "everybody" mostly sony/xbox fanboys. Nintendo have had the most profitable console every gen.
I dont think anybody could have guessed how well wii would do and how poor the ps3 would do.

Well said misteromar

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I don't want to do a John Lucas, but from the moment I saw e3 2006 stampede I knew the Wii was going to be huge.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/e306-clips-e3-morning-stampede-173469.php

unfortunately the video is no longer up but if you do a google search for "Nintendo e3 2006 stampede" I'm sure you'll find a similar story. Public interest for the Wii was absolutely huge and Sony completely screwed up their e3 which made it easy.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

during gamecube days, I thought that Nintendo won't be able to play a more important role in the console races anymore because I had the feeling that Big N has done a lot of things right they screwed up during N64 days, but it didn't help at all.

When I heard about Sony releasing a handheld, I really started to fear, and I did not believe that the DS will be able to outsell the PSP. After I was proven wrong on this, I was more optimistic, but when I heard about the Wii and that it'll be controlled differently, I did not think about sales but about the question if I will like this way to play. This attitude did not really change until I could play Twilight Princess finally which showed me that classic games are still possible on the Wii. (As a fanboy, I bought the Wii at launch despite my uncertanity, only because it was Nintendo and because of the games that were announced.)

As I said, I did not think about sales a lot, but I didn't really expect it to sell that well anyway, I'd already been happy if it had sold slightly better than the Cube, just to make a turn into the right direction.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)