By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY please market Killzone 2

dolemit3 said:
stephen700 said:
Why would they need to market it - everyone know it's another FPS with the usual thumbstick control scheme just like every other unplayable console port of PC games i have seen.
It deserves to fail - i am sticking with my plan to get a new PC because that way i can get 60FPS and a mouse to aim with. - What do PS3 owners get they get nothing.

I thought that PS3 supports a mouse and keyboard control?

While the Wii supports Classic and Gamecube controllers.

There is no gurantee the game is going to support the same thing however... especially when it's going to be a selling point to almost no people.

I mean they don''t even have Splitscreen or Co-op and those would be much bigger draws.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
If they didn't market Killzone 2 it'd be a waste of the 60+ Million the game cost to make.

Link please

FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
If they didn't market Killzone 2 it'd be a waste of the 60+ Million the game cost to make.

Link please

It's at least 20 million dollars, making it the most expensive entertainment product in Dutch history:

source

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

naaaaa previews don't mean nothing to me
Give me reviews and yes I'm getting a ps3 just for this game
I hope I don't regret it LOL

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

agreed

Around the Network

Sony will undoubtedly market this title. The only questions are to what extent, and how effective the marketing will be. Ironically you absolutely do not want Sony to extensively market this game. That is the recipe for disaster, and it has a proven track record to be so. The more money Sony puts towards it the more extravagant the advertising, and the wider the net. Which means the advertising becomes more esoteric, and the advertising lacks focus. Worse yet its an invitation towards splurge spending. Buying overpriced advertising blocks, or investing in advertising with little relevance.

Basically the more money there is to spend the more likely the commercial to be one of those independent art films. With abstract shapes dancing around the screen, or some guy bathing with a pistol. You are also bound to find advertisements on channels that nobody heavily into gaming are going to watch. When you have money to burn you do not pay attention to the demographic. No you pay attention to the total number of viewers. Then you are also likely to see advertising that reaches nobody. Like guerrilla marketing no pun intended internet shilling, and radio show interviews.

When the advertising is small however this is what your likely to get. A short commercial made entirely of in game footage with a heavy metal soundtrack which is sure to get the juices flowing. Your going to find the advertising focused you will see it around the clock on certain channels. Rather then rarely on all the channels. Finally no backlash, because Sony advertised in a way it should not have. Like all I want for Christmas is a PSP ring any bells for anyone.

You give Sony advertising enough money to hang themselves with, and they will hang themselves. They literally cannot help themselves. They just piss the money away. No the best way is to give them a little then they actually have to think, and adopt the time tested philosophy of design the KISS philosophy. Keep it Simple Stupid.

I always find it ironic when Sony has the money they hire the work out to these prestigious advertising companies that excel at selling things in novel ways. When the reality is gaming does not need novel. You not marketing towards an unaware market that needs to be convinced this is something they should be interested. No your advertising to people that want to be convinced. They do not need to be sold on gaming. They need to be sold on the fact that this is good gaming.

This is what Sony has plum forgot over the past few years. They think that you can convince someone in a concept they believe in again. That is just redundant, and overall it is a pointless waste of effort. Every gamer on these forums could tell Sony how to effectively market this product, but sadly Sony just isn't listening to us. They are just listening to themselves and high priced firms. They became insular. Almost a tragic irony really. The occasionally respond to critical feedback, but they never seem to respond to positive proposition. Logically you should listen to both, but you should have been listening for positive suggestions first to avoid the negativity to begin with.

I don't think there is a point in telling Sony to market Killzone 2 well, because I am pretty sure they will. I mean, the game has been in development for about a decade.

It is highly likely going by Sony's recent track record that they will stuff up the marketing campaign for KZ2. This will adversely impact on sales of KZ2. Instead of being a 3 million+ seller game, it could be a sub 2 million selling game.
Resistance 2, Motor Storm 2, LBP and many other PS3 games have all under performed in regards to sales due to weak marketing efforts from Sony.

Thechalkblock said:
I don't think there is a point in telling Sony to market Killzone 2 well, because I am pretty sure they will. I mean, the game has been in development for about a decade.

Good one, try for somewhere around 3-4 years

IllegalPaladin said:
Thechalkblock said:

Good one, try for somewhere around 3-4 years

Still a long time haha.