By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rock Band 2 VS Guitar Hero World Tour: Please Help!

Personally, I don't like the feel of the new World Tour guitar controller. In fact, I regret buying it (complete guitar game). Figured it was only an extra $40 with the game, but I would rather have just bought one of the new Rock Band guitar controllers instead.

I don't like the touch sensitive fret bar. It has no feedback (no raised fake frets) and it's only active during fret slide sections. Since there is no fret slide game play in Rock Band, they serve no purpose in that game. Lastly, the fret board is too thick. When a toy controller is thicker than a real electric guitar, it's too thick. And the strum bar is too clicky.

While I'm sure plenty of people like it, after using the Fender controller, I wouldn't want to use anything else.

WT drum kit looks better since the "cymbal" layout on the standard RB set is weak, but the new RB drum kit with the additional cymbal kit would probably be even better still (unfortunately it adds another $40).

Since the WT drums don't work with RB, and the RB drum kit works with WT... if you have both games, it's pretty obvious which one should be bought (RB drums don't work with WT drum tutorial mode).

As for the games themselves, I'm playing RB2, and WT is not being played at all. The recording studio is the one innovative feature, but composing tracks is a bigger chore and much clunkier than say composing tracks in Garage Band for the Mac with poorer sounding results.

From a track selection standpoint, Rock Band has a huge back catalog of DL songs, whereas WT has just started creating a catalog (since all GHIII tracks were guitar only).

If you have the original RB, it's totally worth paying $5 to transfer 55 tracks to the RB2 play list. With the additional 20 free DL tracks, that's a huge play list to start out with, even before you've started unlocking RB2 tracks in tour mode.

Around the Network

Well I also have been trying to find answer to this...
What I did:Bought rock band 1,instruments and U.S game-cd.
Colours didin't work at European Tv..
So after 3 weeks of playing with my friends I'm gonna sell those and get Guitar Hero Iv.
It has solid instruments and few good ideas.
I'm gonna get Rock band 2 game-cd next year.

Take my love, take my land..

L.C.E.C. said:
Kuro_Neko_13 said:
Elite1 said:
Will the world tour guitar's touch sensitive frets still work on rock band 2?

I was told no in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=49379&page=1

Good Luck.

That sucks... Oh well... I guess I won't be able to do solos in Rock Band Then... but I don't really care that much... the souch strip looks like it's much more fun to play with!

I haven't played either yet but was planning on getting WT guitar pack and then RB separately.

The "won't be able to do solos in Rock Band" confuses me though, what does it refer to?
And, speaking of solos in RB, how is the game at playing alone, worth buying if I don't end up using the multiplayer much?

alekth said:
L.C.E.C. said:
Kuro_Neko_13 said:
Elite1 said:
Will the world tour guitar's touch sensitive frets still work on rock band 2?

I was told no in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=49379&page=1

Good Luck.

That sucks... Oh well... I guess I won't be able to do solos in Rock Band Then... but I don't really care that much... the souch strip looks like it's much more fun to play with!

I haven't played either yet but was planning on getting WT guitar pack and then RB separately.

The "won't be able to do solos in Rock Band" confuses me though, what does it refer to?
And, speaking of solos in RB, how is the game at playing alone, worth buying if I don't end up using the multiplayer much?

That's what I'm going to do. You can do solos in rock band, but the solo buttons (near the end of the neck of the guitar) allow you to play without strumming in certain sections if I remember right...

IDK, the GH:WT Band Pack only comes with one guitar, so either we'll get another GH Guitar off of eBay, or maybe we'll get a RB Guitar, since my brother (unlike me) prefers it...

Thanks, that explained it :)

I haven't held any of the instruments yet, so I don't know which I prefer. But from what I've read the GH:WT one comes closer to the actual guitar size and since I've played some guitar (although classical), I think I'd like the feel of the WT one better (but I'm far more impressed with the RB dlc).

Around the Network

I bought GH:WT on launch and had several issues with the drumset. First, sensitivity was an issue, then after about a week the green pad stopped working.

My conversations with Red Octane were anything but pleasant. To start, the call wasn't toll free and had cost me a fair amount of money being hold for so long. Secondly, to get my green pad fixed they requested that I send out my drum kit, a huge box, with return shipping... my own money. So they sold me a defective product, then tried to put me out further money by making me pay shipping, and to add to that I live in Canada, so there would likely have been custom fees.

Luckily I bought it at Wal-Mart so I tried to bring it back there before having to send it out. They took it back, no questions asked.

So, I'd suggest that if you wish to purchase GH over RB, buy it at Wal-Mart.

All of this aside, I much prefer the GH instruments.

Elite1 said:
I guess I'll just buy the Rock Band 2 pack.

Smart decision.  The two guitars are comparable, both are really good.  So if you're looking for a second guitar, consider the GHWT.  But other than that, the RB2 pack is the way to go.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

alekth said:

I haven't held any of the instruments yet, so I don't know which I prefer. But from what I've read the GH:WT one comes closer to the actual guitar size and since I've played some guitar (although classical), I think I'd like the feel of the WT one better (but I'm far more impressed with the RB dlc).

They're almost exactly the same size.  All the previous RB guitars are actual guitar size, whereas this is the first GH guitar that doesn't feel like a little toy.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

That is good to know, from articles alone I was left with the impression that all previous guitars were smaller.
Maybe I'll get the RB guitar alone later on to play with friends occasionally.

i WAS in tHIS SituATioN like 2weeks agoo
and i buy rb2... its soo goood.. but.. the GHWT is so cool 2 i own a ps3.. so if some1 have RB2 ADD me And..WE PLAY ONLINe..
psn=polloleal

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E