By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will all consoles of the future be called some stupid one syllable word?

NYANKS said:
Only four syllable names are good. So sony is good all the way to PS9 with the exception of PS7.

???  PS1 through PS9 are only 3 syllables.  PS7 is the only one with four.  

OT: One can only hope.  I like Wii better than revolution.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:
J-Man that whole first paragraph was really racist - if not racist then at the very least xenophobic

You should change it

There's nothing wrong with the first paragraph.  He's not being disrespectful there, he's just saying XBOX 360 is difficult to say for some people, Wii isn't.

Calling that racist is like calling me racist for saying Revolution is a bad name because it's hard for Japanese people to say it.

You know this actually speaks very poorly on my part I suppose

It hadn't occurred to me that the English names would be used the world over. Why do they do that I wonder?

Ignore me for the rest of the night, I haven't had my vitamins and am liable to say ridiculous things

BoleroOfFire said:
NYANKS said:
Only four syllable names are good. So sony is good all the way to PS9 with the exception of PS7.

I meant when you say the word Playstation out, not the abbreviation.  lol 

twesterm said:
Khuutra said:
J-Man that whole first paragraph was really racist - if not racist then at the very least xenophobic

You should change it

There's nothing wrong with the first paragraph.  He's not being disrespectful there, he's just saying XBOX 360 is difficult to say for some people, Wii isn't.

Calling that racist is like calling me racist for saying Revolution is a bad name because it's hard for Japanese people to say it.

Japanese would just convert it into the syllables available in their language: rebaruushon.  Same as terebishon, animeeshon, kompyuutaa, hambaagaa, and the rest.  It's not that it's hard, it's just morphed into what their language allows.  But I'm sure there are many other languages that would have had problems outside of English and Japanese.

@OP, Nintendo wanted to invent a new word that was one syllable and easy to pronounce in every language.  Nintendo isn't the first to do this.  Kodak is a famous made-up company name that sounded stupid when they invented it.  Now it's a household name.

I for one think it's much more interesting than just adding numbers to the name.  Nintendo and Sega have always had nice original names without resorting to numbers, except for Nintendo64, but that's back when that number was really important.  I'll never understand the 360 name though.  It's an XBox2.

Wii is such a bad name they should be ashamed for naming it that. If playstation called their next console something like that I'd switch brands

Playstation 3 owner since December 25th, 2006

Around the Network
McDonald said:
Wii is such a bad name they should be ashamed for naming it that. If playstation called their next console something like that I'd switch brands

All right my brain not be firing on all cyllinders at the moment

But that don't make no damn sense

Sephiroth357 said:
The Pii is the next name for Sony.

Look at this CAD strip about Sony in E3 2006:

NYANKS said:
BoleroOfFire said:
NYANKS said:

I meant when you say the word Playstation out, not the abbreviation.  lol 

Wow, right over my head!  lol.  Ok, I'm awake now, got it.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Does it really matter what the name is, would you rather of had Nintendo call all of their consoles NES, NES 2, NES 3, ect. like Sony.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

In fact it would've been FAMICOM 1, FAMICOM 2, FAMICOM 3 in Japan, and NES 1, NES 2, NES 3 in America/Europe (Well, the NES 2 exists but is a redesigned NES)...