By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mrstickball's 'RRoD Experience' Thread..Find out how long MS takes to fix!!

Hi all,

As some may know, I got the dreaded RRoD a little while ago. Rather than just whimsically go through the process and not document anything, I figured I would document it for all of the VGC users. This way, anyone that worries about what RRoD involves (even though it's a far less occurring problem than it used to).

So without further ado, here's the official timeline of virtually everything that happened with my RRoD. Hopefully this helps to de-mystify what goes on, and explains the process of what I did to get my Xbox 360 repaired, and how the process works.

Date Time (EST) Action Taken Notes
November 18th, 2008 5:00pm Xbox 360 Freezes Upon Game Play

Whilst playing a song on Rock Band 2, my Xbox 360 suddenly decides to freeze/die by the audio/visual aspect (to the TV) completly dying. Odd, Rock Band 2 has never, ever had a problem before.

I reboot the system a few times, and each time, within seconds, it freezes.

I decided to let my X360 rest a few minutes, thinking that maybe it's just a wierd fluke. I boot it back up around 6:00pm, and begin to play Rock Band 2, which works now. However, about 5 minutes into playing, it dies again. I decide to let it rest whilst I go to my girlfriend's house

November 18th, 2008 10:30pm Xbox 360 officially RRoD's

Upon coming home, my X360 officially dies via 3 red lights. I was worried about this after the 2nd freeze at 5:00pm, and my worst 'fears' are confirmed. My system goes DOA. I attempt a few reboots, and get the RRoD each time, so it's certain my system's been bricked.

November 18th, 2008 11:00pm Repair Action Started Booted up www.xbox.com only to become fusterated that Xbox.com was down due to NXE implementation. Argh. I can't sign in to my 'Mr Killemgood' profile to begin the process of getting my console fixed. It'll have to wait till tommorrow.
November 19th, 2008 Noon Repair Action Started (cont)

Official beginning of the Xbox 360 repair process. I sign in to Xbox.com with my GamerTag, go to 'Support' then 'Repair My Console'. Microsoft has done all the work for me - Brilliant. My now-dead Xbox 360 pops up on the screen with all my registration info, and warranty status. MS says it'll cost $90.00 to repair my Console which was initially bought on November 22nd, 2005 (yes, I waited outside for 14hrs in 40* weather for this thing).

Fortunately, the 3 year RRoD warranty is still in effect. Not only from the time I bought my 1st console, but it was renewed for another 3 years when my X360 RRoDed the first time - so it's good till March 2010.

Once I get the information all fixed properly, I then print out a pre-paid shipping label from Xbox.com to ship my console in. Sweet, this means I don't have to wait 3-4 days for MS to send me the box.

November 24th, 2008 1:00pm Xbox 360 Shipped for Repair

I had a decent bit of work the rest of the week, so I was unable to ship the console out 'till this week - 6 days after my X360 RRoDs. I'm not dying due to my X360 being dead, so I do end up taking it slow.

I pack it up in a free box I have, so my actual cost to send Microsoft my X360 is about 5 cents worth of paper and ink, oh, plus the garbage bag I sent the X360 in ;)  I did that so the shredded paper doesn't infiltrate any area of the X360.

November 27th, 2008 ??? Xbox 360 arrives at Mesquite, TX for repair According to Xbox.com's repair tracker, my Xbox 360 arrives for repairs just before Thanksgiving. I figure it may take awhile to fix due to the holidays.
November 29th, 2008 ??? Xbox 360 is repaired According to Xbox.com's repair tracker, my Xbox 360 is 'repaired' - it's actually swapped out with a new system. MS says they are shipping it today (Friday), but due to the holiday weekend, it looks like it gets delayed.
December 1st, 2008 5:00am Xbox 360 is shipped back to me Finally get an updat from Xbox.com. My console was appearently shipped out today, Monday early in the morning. Odd that it wasn't shipped last week, but I guess Thanksgiving screwed eveything up. I don't see anywhere for a tracking number to ensure I get the package. I wait anxiously the whole week to get it back, because I don't want to miss the package, and have it stolen.
December 4th, 2008 3:00pm Xbox 360 returns

Got it back a little over an hour ago - I also got The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery from Amazon.com today.

The Xbox 360 came in a new box (not the one I sent it in) with typical coffin innards - nice foam packaging, and wrapping around the console. I also got a free month of XBL via a 1mo card attached to the X360 itself. $5 for my troubles. Eh, it's better than nothing.

Just booted the X360 up right before finishing this post up to confirm it works. I don't have a HDD since I let my girlfriend borrow it for her new Xbox 360 her niece gave her for an early Xmas present (older 2007 Falcon/Arcade).

So the official statistics about my repair experience:

• Time Taken to Repair Console (absolute value): 16 days
  • Time wasted by myself: 5 days
  • Time wasted due to Microsoft.com: 1 day
  • Actual time of repair (from shipping out to recieving): 10 days

So it took 10 days to get the console repaired. Could of been less, most likely, if it wasn't for Thanksgiving...Heck, it could of been fixed in a week given the turnaround time at Microsoft's repair center.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Not too long of a wait for you. Is this the first time you have sent yor 360 in?

segajon said:
Not too long of a wait for you. Is this the first time you have sent yor 360 in?

No. My first one died on March 23rd, 2007.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yeah mine died last Xmas. It took 9 days from door to door.

I was really impressed as I live in Ireland and it had to go to Germany.

reask said:

You got lucky. Up until september 2007 euro repair time was 3 - 4 weeks. I know, I sent one in january and another in july.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

good for you:) they used 5 months on mine:=)

Looks like the rumour of 360's dying right at the three year mark had a little clout. >_>

But good for you. Seems like repair is nice and fast.

Bitmap Frogs said:
reask said:

You got lucky. Up until september 2007 euro repair time was 3 - 4 weeks. I know, I sent one in january and another in july.

I know I couldnt believe it. I was actually up in my inlaws boxing day when my wife phoned to say the courier was here to collect it.

I hadnt even got it packed so she told him to call back next day which he did.

So I actually lost a day myself.

I will bookmark this thanks, I had burnout revenge crash a month or so a go but I don't think its anything to worry about. My console seems to freeze when two things happen at once, ie me bringing up the guide whilst a game is saving.

Well I'm sending mine in today so I'll be seeing how the Australian experience is.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall