By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games where achievements add to the overall experience

i recently read  a post by a fellow friend in VGC where he stated how the achievements in Dead Rising made the game longer, funner, and interesting. Have anyone of you out there had any experience where the achievements added to the game experience?

For me personally it would be Mass Effect. It made me want to play the game both as a paragon and a renegade, to learn more about each possible outcome. Also it encouraged me to do all those sidequests, which took some time and added a lot of hours, and to experiment with each of the 6 allies.

Around the Network

well I ended up spending 3-4 extra hours in GTA4 to get some extra achievements....and I enjoyed it the whole time, the achievements at least motivated me to play side missions and it was worth it....

Brass Balls achievement from Bioshock

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

the 99 achievements for the orange box are sooo smart

Achievements are worthless to me -- just as trophies are. I play a game as long as it is fun. The moment it becomes tedious, I'm done -- Achievement or not.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I dunno. In all the games I've played on 360 going for achievements has felt like a thinly disguised version of work. Takes the fun out of games for me, so I generally pretend they don't exist. I do the same with trophies.

i enjoyed collecting all the orbs from Crackdown. just running and jumping all over the city was a lot of fun.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

i don't have a 360, but i have Mega Man 9 on WiiWare (im assuming they are the exact same on 360), and those achievements have added a few hours of extra game play and I haven't even gotten all of them yet

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

i agree with naz that it takes the fun out of some games, but thats the purpose of this thread, to mention games where achievements add fun to the game

MrBubbles said:
i enjoyed collecting all the orbs from Crackdown. just running and jumping all over the city was a lot of fun.

oh yes, so did I. I still think that Crackdown is the best sandbox game this gen. It shits all over GTA 4 and SR in the fun factor. The achievements added a lot to the game