By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to support 400GB Blu Ray Discs!!

I doubt there'll ever be a use for this in gaming.

Still, this might be good for Tv series (i.e entire season on a disc, that'd be sweet).

Around the Network

Hmm this is uber thing for tv series - imagine getting whole season of show on single disc all in 1080p and loseless audio :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

CAL4M1TY said:
I doubt there'll ever be a use for this in gaming.

Still, this might be good for Tv series (i.e entire season on a disc, that'd be sweet).

*Looks at crystal ball*   In about 20 years, there's gonna be ton of shelves at Wal Mart filled with 400 GB Blu Ray Disc games, or at least games filled with space more than 100 GB    *Puts away crystal ball*

Looks like it's been debunked already.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/07/pioneers-blu-ray-disc-hits-400gb/

Update: Now that the English press release is out, it's less clear whether the new media -- whenever it might come to market -- will work in existing players or not. While "it is possible to maintain compatibility between the new 16-layer optical disc and the BD discs," players would seemingly require a modified optical pick-up mechanism to see the data. We'll learn more on July 13th when Pioneer discusses the breakthrough in detail.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Huge storage space for games must mean astronomical prices for games.

Around the Network

400GB discs would cost a fortune. That is around 8 times the size of current Blu-Ray discs that are around 50GB

perpride said:
badgenome said:
gebx said:
badgenome said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Great if you want to throw entire hard drives on a blu-ray disk for backup, but this probably wont mean much of anything for games.

Such a Negative Nancy. Just because developers are straining to turn a profit on 5 gig games doesn't mean that 400 gig ones aren't just around the corner!

Question -

Would the PS3 blu ray drive have to spin at a lower speed to be able to read a 400gb disk?

And would that lead to longer load times and bigger installs?

I was wondering about that myself.

Would it really matter in the face of 400 Gigs of content?

I have to admit this actually makes me look at the PS3 as somehwat futureproof...almost half a terabyte of data on one disc is no joke.

'Cept there's no way to improve the read speed of the PS3 drives. So no, not future proof at all

$200 game for 400GB game disc = no thank you.

haxxiy said:
BottledSpringWater said:
ceaser92 said:
TO BAD DEVELOPERS ARE FUQN LAZY

You expect developers to make 200 GB games?

Well while they won't make 200 GB games bigger media storage would still be a good business since it would mean far less uncompressed data. Therefore, better quality music & sound effects, less loading time etc. I mean, just textures are compressed 1/100.

No, much longer load times. Less compressed textures means more data to read from the disc.

20gb mandatory 1 hour installs won't be fun.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

If this is even possible on a console, this should only be used to add making of documentaries and other random non-game bonus features to the disc. There's no way a game could be half that big and make any money, unless it was $1 billion a copy and they sold 3 copies to Bill Gates.