By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to support 400GB Blu Ray Discs!!

heruamon said:
Wow...that's alot of storage sapce. A game of that size would be photo-realistic and HUGE, but there's no mention of cost, which is always the key driver. If each disc is like $50, it's not very viable an option.

Cost of the disc?  That's nothing compared to the cost of making a huge phtorealist game.

The only way to get massive content for cheap production is procedural generation... and if you have that you don't need a huge disc.

Around the Network

Double post

Wow.... imagine a game using almost all of that, even though it would be over 5 years of work. I hope that happens during the next generation or after that. That would be crazy.

indodude said:
Wow.... imagine a game using almost all of that, even though it would be over 5 years of work. I hope that happens during the next generation or after that. That would be crazy.

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone profiting from such a game, no matter whether on this generation or a later one. Unless the game costs $100 per copy and lots of people buy it or some other similarly ridiculous scenario.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
indodude said:

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone profiting from such a game, no matter whether on this generation or a later one. Unless the game costs $100 per copy and lots of people buy it or some other similarly ridiculous scenario.

You mean 100$ Like Guitar Hero And Rock Band Bundle?

Around the Network

@blazinhead89: Well, $150 or more if it has bundled accessories.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

This would be amazing for TV series box sets. Get the entire series in high def on 1 disc!!! I'd love to have all of Battlestar Galactica on one friggin disc.

its confirmed for ps3 now http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56200

I could already see Kojima's reaction to this. 400gb!? good.. but.. to fully realize my vision for mgs5, i need at least 1tb. meh..

BottledSpringWater said:
ceaser92 said:
TO BAD DEVELOPERS ARE FUQN LAZY

You expect developers to make 200 GB games?

Well while they won't make 200 GB games bigger media storage would still be a good business since it would mean far less uncompressed data. Therefore, better quality music & sound effects, less loading time etc. I mean, just textures are compressed 1/100.