By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii See It Best Sales EVER In The West

2 million is possible but I think it has to do it virtually from Others and American sales. Console gaming is dead in Japan so I don't expect Wii to go over 50,000. So it would need around 1.95m from Others and Americas. Possible, but very tough.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

1.3 million that's pretty impressive. No recent AAA games to go along with that figure is a bit less so imo.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Actually week 56 did 1.46 million so its the second best week.  edit> my mistake, japan did 250k that week 23/12/07

Also does this include black friday yeah?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Yeah, for some reason, 360 outselling the PS3 2:1 is more astounding than the Wii outselling the 360 almost 2:1.

It's a shame the lengths people will go through to make their console look better.

Good job Nintendo.

What i dont get is why black friday 07 doesn't look at all like 08 week.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
What i dont get is why black friday 07 doesn't look at all like 08 week.

which part?

here is 4 weeks leading up to black friday 07

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39390&end=39411

here are 4 weeks leading up to black friday 08

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39761&end=39782

07 had a slight ramp up compared to 08, but relatively the same. I have a feeling you are looking at the wrong week from last year.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

You fanboy, the Wii always sells well... ;]

Seriously though, very impressive numbers so far. I can't wait to see what it does in Japan too.

Go Wii! =D

tuoyo said:
2 million is possible but I think it has to do it virtually from Others and American sales. Console gaming is dead in Japan so I don't expect Wii to go over 50,000. So it would need around 1.95m from Others and Americas. Possible, but very tough.

What planet are you on.

Sure Wii is lower than last year. (Last week it did 38k, compared to 51k the year before) but not by that much.

Lets compare the last 5 weeks of sales in 2008, with the equivalent 5 weeks in 2007, but also add the following weks to show where 2008 is likely to trend.

2007 2008
31k 25k
40k 24k
35k 27k
36k 29k
51k 38k

As you can see, if the Wii in 2008 trends similar to how it has been, it has a good chance at just reaching 200k in it's best week.... of course last year was Wii Fit release so we shouldn't expect it to follow the increases exactly, but it should still easily manage 150k, which is 3 times your number.

Despite this, it still needs the bulk of it's sales in the West, but it has shown it can easily manage that and will likely make 2 million without Japans sales.