By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Star Ocean is Not a big franchise.

I dunno, everyone seems to be putting Star Ocean 4 as some huge marquee 360 title. I don't get it. Star Ocean as a franchise has never been marquee, and just an average RPG in terms of sales.

As you can see here, the biggest Star Ocean game only sold 1.29 million, on the PS2, which had a much larger install base than the 360 at the point in time when it was released.

So basically what I'm saying here is: Star Ocean 4 is not a 360 marquee title. In fact, it'll probably go multiplatform within a few months. In the end, it'll struggle to reach 1 million.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time PS2 1.29m

Star Ocean: The Second Story PS 0.72m

Star Ocean: First Departure PSP 0.27m

Star Ocean SNES 0.23m

Star Ocean: Second Evolution PSP 0.16m

Star Ocean: Blue Sphere GB 0.14m

Around the Network

WAAARGH.

An aveage RPG in terms of sales? name me some non-FF-DQ-KH PS2 jRPGs which have sold 1.5 million units+ please.

It'll help the 360s cause in Japan. I think that was the real reason M$ made the deal.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Rei said:
An aveage JRPG in terms of sales? name me some non-FF-DQ-KH PS2 jRPGs which have sold 1.5 million units+ please.

Sorry I had to fix this before someone comes in with Oblivion etc..

Around the Network

I think SO4 will do for 360 what WKC will do for PS3, big surge in hardware sales for a week and same for software. After that sales will die very quickly.

So, you post a completely non-sales related topic, and post your wild speculations, and want us to respond seriously to this?

You only mentioned anything about sales in one spot, but the main topic was that Star Ocean 4 was not a big game for the 360. If you are desperate to attack this game, you need to take a few chill pills and drink some Kool-aid. Always calms me down :p

Those sales data are not complete, it never sold like crazy but it still isn´t a small franchise. A hardcore franchise that manages to sell over 1 million copies in each iteration is quite big in my book.

its sales related because.. it discusses star ocean's sales potential, which i claim to be not big at all. everyone is claiming that so4 is going to be a huge marquee title for the 360, but here is some proof that star ocean has never been a huge franchise.

and if it wasn't obvious for you, all the claims here are not related to the game's quality. only the sales.. so that's why it's in the sales topic. star ocean's sales potential, nothing more.

Every Star Ocean game has sold over a million? I very much doubt that, what I will be interested in is if this game gets big sales in NA and EU. Those 2 territories so far could nor care less for IU and TLR, hopefully this one is different.