By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Xbox 360 has overtaken the PS3 in Europe!!

Staude said:
^you can never know for sure. The point is that sony has a record for actually making their money back and microsoft doesn't However, that is completely besides the point if you read my original post which was only geared towards microsoft

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/25/microsofts-xbox-division-turns-a-profit-again/

Correct me if I'm wrong--and I well might be-- but this shows Microsoft is turning a profit on the 360s instead of losing money per console sold....I think, right? Hm.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
selnor said:
tombi123 said:
selnor said:
tombi123 said:
The year and a half head start sure made a difference :)

PS3 will be back on top with a price cut.

Of course it will...........Of course it will, won't it?

De Ja Vu is the craziest thing.

The last time the PS3 had a price cut in Europe, it caught up and passed the 360 pretty quickly. Then the 360 has (2) price cuts in Europe and passes the PS3 fairly quickly. So when the PS3 next gets a price cut in Europe, it should pass the 360 fairly quickly, no?

If my local shops in UK are anything to go buy, it's gonna be much tougher. As I said before they only have 2 bays for PS3, 8 for 360 and 12 for wii. They cut PS3 from 4 to 2 last week. UK PS3 is certainly not really looked at much. This is in Game the biggest highstreet shop for Games consoles.

At my local Game shop the PS3 still has 3 bays but it has been pushed to the very back of the shop behind all the Pre owned games.

Not great product placement !

This is a pretty big gamestore near where i live (they deal in electronics too, and film and music.)

Now, the 360 and the wii (and EA XD) all have their own .. spots like it. The difference being that the Wii and the 360 ones aren't as obvious and are smaller. They both have 1 or 2 set ups instead of the 4 seen here.

Going from that the ps3 should be doing great. (btw i'll note that all 4 systems were set up with little big planet. Another note is that when i was leaving a few mins later, the area was pretty tightly packed with people)

Now i know my sample is from 1 store, but so is yours. (if we go by both yours, that's 2 stores, but i can count that, i have another picture from another store, but instead of showing it i'll just explain (since it really only shows off some little big planet advertisement)

In most stores where i live, right when you get in the door there are New Releases, and then there are Playstation 3. It's often followed by Wii or Playstation 2 and the psp is located somewhere but not as obvious (often in a corner :( )

The 360 is often placed rather bad, with a little of the other wall (PC) dedicated too it. It's often more hidden away etc....

My point is (i don't want to start riots) That it's fairly obvious that it depends on where you live, which console has the most shelf space and where it's located. While you may be right, you might also be wrong. Only time will tell.

Check out my game about moles ^

selnor said:
GT5 12 months away. That is gonna hurt Sony massively. Here in UK it seems people have given up on PS3. My local game shop has decreased the PS3 stuff to 2 bays. While 360 now has 8 bays and Wii 12 bays. Same thing that happened to original Xbox and GC

Same here in Mexico the bays for the PS3 has been dissapered

100% Mexican Power

Shadowblind said:
Staude said:
^you can never know for sure. The point is that sony has a record for actually making their money back and microsoft doesn't However, that is completely besides the point if you read my original post which was only geared towards microsoft

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/25/microsofts-xbox-division-turns-a-profit-again/

Correct me if I'm wrong--and I well might be-- but this shows Microsoft is turning a profit on the 360s instead of losing money per console sold....I think, right? Hm.

No. Notice the name of the division.

Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division.

Like i said, this division includes zune and other profitable products, possibly to cover up for loss on xbox hardware.

Staude said:
FishyJoe said:
Staude said:

On the flip side, MS has a tendency to not do well in early product generations, yet take over the market in successive generations. Anyone remember Windows 1 or 2? How about IE 1 or 2? Those were commercial failures. It wasn't until a few generations passed that MS wound up being on top. I'm not saying it's always worked out that way, but there is no denying that MS has a history succeeding after a few product iterations.

yes but there is a rapid difference here. These previous markets were the OS market where the sole reason for microsofts dominence was their contract with ibm.

IE have never been a commercial success. They contracted and cheated the developers out of their money (by bundling it for free) whereafter they were sued (and lost i think?) and to this day they haven't made money directly off IE. :p (which has lost a lot of it's dominence too)

@JHawkNH

Actually my point is that microsoft haven't really made any money of any of their xbox'es yet. With profit from their entertainment devision most likely coming from zune and other products.

You seem very narrow minded for business. This gen is completely different. For M$ at least. Sony have been very silly indeed making online free. It isnt helping sell the console at all.

M$ have 14+mill gold subscribers now. (you do the math each month that they make). On top of that they sell shitloads more software than PS3 and in many cases the wii. So it's not just about the HW sale itself. If I'm wrong tell me, but dont you have to have a 360 for Xbox Live? That means their Xbox's are making money. Heres Bach from M$ in late November interview.

“Sometimes we make some money on the hardware, sometimes we lose money,” Bach said.

“The business is neutral for us. We earn money from the games or from our online service Xbox Live, which is going very well.

http://www.gamer.tm/news.php?id=3245

M$ make 70 mill just on Live Gold accounts in 1 month. Based on $5/month of 14 mill Subscriptions (likely more now). Thats 840 mill in 12 months through Live. Add to that the downloads and your probably looking currently at 1bill+ just from Live each year.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Staude said:
FishyJoe said:
Staude said:

On the flip side, MS has a tendency to not do well in early product generations, yet take over the market in successive generations. Anyone remember Windows 1 or 2? How about IE 1 or 2? Those were commercial failures. It wasn't until a few generations passed that MS wound up being on top. I'm not saying it's always worked out that way, but there is no denying that MS has a history succeeding after a few product iterations.

yes but there is a rapid difference here. These previous markets were the OS market where the sole reason for microsofts dominence was their contract with ibm.

IE have never been a commercial success. They contracted and cheated the developers out of their money (by bundling it for free) whereafter they were sued (and lost i think?) and to this day they haven't made money directly off IE. :p (which has lost a lot of it's dominence too)

@JHawkNH

Actually my point is that microsoft haven't really made any money of any of their xbox'es yet. With profit from their entertainment devision most likely coming from zune and other products.

You seem very narrow minded for business. This gen is completely different. For M$ at least. Sony have been very silly indeed making online free. It isnt helping sell the console at all.

M$ have 14+mill gold subscribers now. (you do the math each month that they make). On top of that they sell shitloads more software than PS3 and in many cases the wii. So it's not just about the HW sale itself. If I'm wrong tell me, but dont you have to have a 360 for Xbox Live? That means their Xbox's are making money. Heres Bach from M$ in late November interview.

“Sometimes we make some money on the hardware, sometimes we lose money,” Bach said.

“The business is neutral for us. We earn money from the games or from our online service Xbox Live, which is going very well.

http://www.gamer.tm/news.php?id=3245

M$ make 70 mill just on Live Gold accounts in 1 month. Based on $5/month of 14 mill Subscriptions (likely more now). Thats 840 mill in 12 months through Live. Add to that the downloads and your probably looking currently at 1bill+ just from Live each year.

I know it is, but we have to study the past to project possibilities for the future. Naturally chaos can erupt and anything can happen.

and no you don't need to have an xbox to get live. I had to get live to play one of my pc games online. (not gold though. but it still counts as a live account)

But basically their fee also covers up the loss they have on the console ? well doesn't that basically mean that they sell it too you, only to get you to pay some more for it over time ? as if it had been rented. Ofcourse that's just one perspective of looking at it :p

@Staude

You wont start riots. Dont worry.

Is the Gamestore you speak of a HMV. Ive noticed that they tend to favour the PS3 over the other consoles.

Dont know why ? Presumably it has a good mark up on it given the price.

well it launched a year and 5 months sonner and is hundreds of dollars cheaper.........but MS did it.

They finally broke the stranglehold SOny has on Europeans. Nintendo helped too :p

selnor said:
-General_Ram- said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBb8cxyh6m8

Its PARTY TIME 360 fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go General.

one world :LOL and you can quote me on that! just tell me :)

I think this fits better :)

good on 360 but there is no doubt that ps3 will sell more in EUROPE by a large margin in the end.