By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Xbox 360 has overtaken the PS3 in Europe!!

kowenicki said:
doesnt really matter does it... only one figure counts... total worldwide sales.

Its odd though that the console sale differences pretty much come down to language. The 360 rules in the English speaking world. UK, USA, Aus.

MS would be very happy owning the HD English speaking game world. Not only do they eliminate (mostly) localization costs, but the English speaking world tends to like the same games. 

Some of those other European top game lists look a little odd from a US perspective. AU, UK, US top lists always look pretty similar, odd sports games aside.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

This losers' race is entertaining, just keep in mind a few things:
- the XB360 is nearly twice as old as the PS3 in Europe (1.5 years older)
- the XB360 had 1.5 years alone in the HD console market to make a huge lead

So I wouldn't come to conclusions too fast...
I mean, the OP title seems odd, when it would make people believe that the XB360 started below the PS3, which isn't the case. The Wii overtook the XB360 in Europe, but the XB360 actually only took back the lead over the PS3.

Million said:

Well all the games i've visited won't shift shelf space so drasticaly that at one point PS3 has slightly more shelfspace to the point that the 360 has a 3:1 shelf space ratio.

There are 1.6 Million PS3's in the Uk and 2.6 Million 360's that's a 0.6:1 ratio or 2.4:4 to make it clearer.

Sincle last week million Game and Gamestation have cut PS3 floor space. It makes perfect sense, considering for along time the PS3 has been outsold 5:1 by Wii and 3:1 by 360 in UK. Sorry but it's dying fast in UK.

ookaze said:
This losers' race is entertaining, just keep in mind a few things:
- the XB360 is nearly twice as old as the PS3 in Europe (1.5 years older)
- the XB360 had 1.5 years alone in the HD console market to make a huge lead

So I wouldn't come to conclusions too fast...
I mean, the OP title seems odd, when it would make people believe that the XB360 started below the PS3, which isn't the case. The Wii overtook the XB360 in Europe, but the XB360 actually only took back the lead over the PS3.

The Xbox 360 has overtaken the PS3 in Europe, for the first time might I add ... ? Nothing odd about that.

UK not Europe? Please check a map ;)

Around the Network
allergic said:

UK not Europe? Please check a map ;)

Umm no, they have overtaken PS3 in EU not just UK. They have always been ahead of PS3 in UK, in UK they are majorly pulling a big gap.

For how long? Till PS3 pricecut in Europe, or maybe even till next week, with release of LBP bundle? =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
For how long? Till PS3 pricecut in Europe, or maybe even till next week, with release of LBP bundle? =)

LOL it's crazyman. Dude you do know that the figures for last week was the week R2 launched in EU right?? The 360 had no launches and outsold PS3 nearly 2:1 in EU. Remind me how a game that is already out (and not sold great) will skew PS3 sales up by over 150,000 towards the 360????

kowenicki said:
@ crazzyman LBP bundle... is that a joke?

don't you know ps fanboys love to tell joke?

but i enjoy it.

Just look forward to sales in Europe for next several weeks. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far