By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Resistance 2 Debuts at Disappointing in UK

I'm really confused by the performance of this game to-date.  Sure, COD5:WaW was a major release, but how is it possible for the flagship shooter (I say flasgship, since it was the first!) to open this weakly?  While COd does very well on 360, it's certianly not going to knock Halo or GeOW of the perch, so I find this weak an opening in UK to be staggering.  R2 was susposed to have so many more feature than anything on the market, but gamers are simply not buying in the hype...66% of the first game's total is an BIG OUCH, no matter how you try to spin it.

http://chartget.blogspot.com/2008/12/resistance-2-debuts-at-disappointing.html 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Lost out to COD5 is what I interpret. Shooters are usually a very mainstream genres so in some ways its not that surprising. COD is just a bigger mainstream franchise right now than Resistance.

Don't get me wrong Resi 2 sales will still be pretty good but not as good as COD5.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/euk-stores-waiting-on-resistance-2

This could well have had an affect on sales, I haven't seen much in the way of tv advertising either yet.....

who expected r2 to be good?
i was under the impression that the first resistance game was mediocre at best. a generic sooting game??

hello how are you.

aidey68 said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/euk-stores-waiting-on-resistance-2

This could well have had an affect on sales, I haven't seen much in the way of tv advertising either yet.....

Oh shit.

That explains a lot.

I thought the release date had been delayed in my region, because now it only releases on the 5th.

Or, rather it's supposed to but my buddies at the local shops say their suppliers haven't got any copies yet.

What a cock-up

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Paperdiego said:
i was under the impression that the first resistance game was mediocre at best. a generic sooting game??

Your impression is incorrect. Try playing it.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
Paperdiego said:

He's right. R1 sucked and R2 isn't much better. Insomniac should stick to platformers or maybe take their time instead of releasing a new game every year.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Spankey said:
Paperdiego said:

He's right. R1 sucked and R2 isn't much better. Insomniac should stick to platformers or maybe take their time instead of releasing a new game every year.

R1 sucked?

Thats news to me. I think it's awesome. In fact, I'm playing it again on yet another playthrough. And, the multi-player was a lot of fun too.

Why do you say it sucked?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Well the first Resitance started out slow as well, we'll see.

No real suprise. The PS3 isn't exactly strong in the UK, and Resistance 2 isn't good enough to drag people away from Call of Duty.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire