By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 bundles for just 135 Euro

@ Bitmap Frogs

NJ5 (a real programmer) about the cell uses on running game code? It's in this forum.

NJ5 accepted the postings of a PS3 games developer on this forum regarding the Cell and other technology issues, this guy then stated MikeB knows what he's was talking about.  Note NJ5 is no games developer or more importantly a low-level game engine programmer, like he made clear several times.

He would like to get his hands on a PS3, to experiment programming the Cell.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@MikeB: This is terribly offtopic, but actually I am a low-level (though not only) programmer. I have also made it clear that I work with an architecture very similar to the Cell. Indeed I'm planning to buy a PS3 when it's cheaper mainly for Cell programming.

Not that that matters at all when discussing with someone who doesn't know the similarities between dynamic branch hints and delayed jumps. I still laugh everytime I remember your claims in that thread.

EDIT - If I'm not wrong you just made a Ninja edit which makes my post look stupid. It's alright though, I replied pretty quick.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ NJ5

Laugh all you want but after that reread and you will see I have written nothing like you claim. Just quote me instead if you want. AFAIR it regarded developers being able to yield better results through branch hints and branch elimination than you get from predictor hardware, something you ackowledged in that later thread talking to a games developer with experience programming the Cell.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB: I don't want to get back to that discussion, especially with someone who doesn't have any practical experience with the subject matter.

Why don't we get back to the (much more on-topic) subject of your expectations of 360 sales, perhaps in comparison to PS3 ones? You didn't reply to my post above yet.

Just a simple question. Does the current situation in sales mirror your expectations of what would happen in this Christmas?

@ NJ5

I don't want to get back to that discussion

I didn't start as you know.

Does the current situation in sales mirror your expectations of what would happen in this Christmas?

The 360 now has a cheaper entry pricing than I anticipated ( at 135 Euro) and the PS3 I expected to sell for 349 dollars this christmas. So the 360 relative to the PS3 will perform a little better than I previously expected.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ NJ5

Does the current situation in sales mirror your expectations of what would happen in this Christmas?

The 360 now has a cheaper entry pricing than I anticipated ( at 135 Euro) and the PS3 I expected to sell for 349 dollars this christmas. So the 360 relative to the PS3 will perform a little better than I previously expected.

That's a specific retailer discount that is not universal.

You can't claim that is the entry pricing, because it isn't. That same chain, MediaMarket, has it at 169€ in Spain - just as an example. Just like Saturn's 11 stores offer of 149€ in Italy doesn't make 149€ the entry pricing for the whole of Italy.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

The 360 now has a cheaper entry pricing than I anticipated ( at 135 Euro)

Do we have any evidence that this is widespread throughout several retailer groups and countries? Here in Sweden the cheapest I'm seeing is about 170 €.

NJ5 said:

The 360 now has a cheaper entry pricing than I anticipated ( at 135 Euro)

Do we have any evidence that this is widespread throughout several retailer groups and countries?

We actually have proof of the opposite, but it doesn't matter to him.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
MikeB said:
@ NJ5

That's a specific retailer discount that is not universal.

You can't claim that is the entry pricing, because it isn't. That same chain, MediaMarket, has it at 169€ in Spain - just as an example.

I wouldn't be too sure.

Maybe it's due to some glitch in the exchange rates, but around here the standard price for an standard bundle Arcade is 138 Euro pretty much countrywide.

http://www.take2.co.za/games-xbox-360-console-arcade-3170850.html R1799 or about 138 Euro. This includes VAT at 14%

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

@Spankey: Yes, the exchange rates between European (or any really) currencies are very volatile lately. In fact I'm thinking of buying either a Wii or a 360 for my brother from Amazon UK to take advantage of that.