By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Midway: Secret game looks 'better' than Gears 2

pics or it didnt happen

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

I think this will be a good game though.

Vion deisel is awesome. I also can't wait for the chronicles of riddick: dark athena.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

U want a game with better graphics than gears of war. well here is two of them

1. Crysis for PC
2. Uncharted Drakes Fortune for PS3

Crysis best looking game this gen, Uncharted best looking console game this gen

reask said:

Wheelman creative director believes the hype is justified.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at a Wheelman press event which took place in London yesterday, creative director Simon Woodroffe has revealed that the future for Midway Games' titles is looking very promising, but vague indeed and it's all because of the publisher's shared technology.

"I just saw a demo of a new Midway game that's in development. I can't tell you too much about it, because it's all concept art, but they've been on it for three months and it looks as good if not better than Gears 2's concept art" said Woodroffe. "This is only possible because of the sharing of technology - the same we used for classics such as 'Hour of Victory' and 'Game Party 1 & 2."

Woodroffe added: "It's similar to Gears, but a totally different set up - minigames, kart racing and Target Terror-esque shooting. I'd say that if we were to take all of the games that sold on next gen formats, averaged a couple of things out, this will be as successful as anything in the shovelware category. It's a very exciting concept."

Hype building? For sure, but Woodroffe was keen to stress that in this instance the hype is absolutely justified, just like for Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am.

"It's already looking as good as Gears 2, but the game mechanics are kind of different, especially in the gameplay section - it's totally different. It's going to be really big and really important," Woodroffe explained. "It's not often, especially when you're working for Midway, that you see a prototype or creative slice and just get the PR team on it. But in this case, the hype is puffed up."

This secret title isn't the only project Midway has up its sleeve. Woodroffe added: "Midway have got a really cool game, not the one I'm talking about but another one, a really cool game coming out of Chicago using the shared technology. It's probably not due until 2010, and the same goes for the one I'm talking about.... Hint: It may be Mortal Kombat vs. Ed, Edd, and Eddy"

While every single one of Midway's earlier titles which utilised Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 did run into development problems, Woodroffe believes the publisher now has a huge wealth of internal developers with the skills required to deliver highly polished turds.

"... you know, the biggest factor that hasn't been touched upon in recent articles is the shared knowledge. We have 600 to 700 devs, all with Unreal experience spent by watching others do better jobs at the engine, all working for the same company, all of whom can talk to each other about the latest South Park Episode. When we hit a problem, we have more people working on the engine than anybody - and we've proven the talent all goes to waste. And we have a massive pool of resources to draw upon. At least one team has dealt with pretty much every feature you might want in a next-gen game, and turning it to utter crap - which defines the Midway method. Which means that we, as designers, are in a great position - because we can actually build games to be games that ruin people's expectations, not just technology showcases any more," Woodroffe concluded.

Look out for updated impressions of Wheelman: Game Party 3 next week, along with more from Simon Woodroffe.

Link here.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-11-2008-10057.html

Corrected for truth.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Midway ... why not THQ lol?

Around the Network
yog-sothot said:
three months of development ? Midway game ? comment by a Midway dude ? --> worst way to create hype ever.

Even the comment from David Jaffe about God of War 3 sounded much more realistic (as GOW 1 and 2 were indeed amazing games on the PS2)

moreover, the game won't be released soon if the development just started. In two years, I hope gears of war 2 graphics will already have been bested

gears of war 2 graphics bested in two years. everyone knows the best looking game is Crysis Warhead for PC by far

Forgive me for contributing nothing to the thread with what i'm about to say but.

LOOOOOL.

Considering it's Unreal Engine 3 I'd say there is a good chance of 360 Exclusive. Definately Timed Exclusive as it takes way longer to get running decent UE3 on PS3.

Do you think it will be the first game on 360 to utilize multi threading on all three Cores? Instead of the maximum 2 out of 6 we have seen so far? Maybe thats how they are beating Gears 2 graphics. Have to say thats impressive for 3 months if true. Considering Gears 2 is best console graphics available to buy right this minute.

mrstickball said:
reask said:

Wheelman creative director believes the hype is justified.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at a Wheelman press event which took place in London yesterday, creative director Simon Woodroffe has revealed that the future for Midway Games' titles is looking very promising, but vague indeed and it's all because of the publisher's shared technology.

"I just saw a demo of a new Midway game that's in development. I can't tell you too much about it, because it's all concept art, but they've been on it for three months and it looks as good if not better than Gears 2's concept art" said Woodroffe. "This is only possible because of the sharing of technology - the same we used for classics such as 'Hour of Victory' and 'Game Party 1 & 2."

Woodroffe added: "It's similar to Gears, but a totally different set up - minigames, kart racing and Target Terror-esque shooting. I'd say that if we were to take all of the games that sold on next gen formats, averaged a couple of things out, this will be as successful as anything in the shovelware category. It's a very exciting concept."

Hype building? For sure, but Woodroffe was keen to stress that in this instance the hype is absolutely justified, just like for Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am.

"It's already looking as good as Gears 2, but the game mechanics are kind of different, especially in the gameplay section - it's totally different. It's going to be really big and really important," Woodroffe explained. "It's not often, especially when you're working for Midway, that you see a prototype or creative slice and just get the PR team on it. But in this case, the hype is puffed up."

This secret title isn't the only project Midway has up its sleeve. Woodroffe added: "Midway have got a really cool game, not the one I'm talking about but another one, a really cool game coming out of Chicago using the shared technology. It's probably not due until 2010, and the same goes for the one I'm talking about.... Hint: It may be Mortal Kombat vs. Ed, Edd, and Eddy"

While every single one of Midway's earlier titles which utilised Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 did run into development problems, Woodroffe believes the publisher now has a huge wealth of internal developers with the skills required to deliver highly polished turds.

"... you know, the biggest factor that hasn't been touched upon in recent articles is the shared knowledge. We have 600 to 700 devs, all with Unreal experience spent by watching others do better jobs at the engine, all working for the same company, all of whom can talk to each other about the latest South Park Episode. When we hit a problem, we have more people working on the engine than anybody - and we've proven the talent all goes to waste. And we have a massive pool of resources to draw upon. At least one team has dealt with pretty much every feature you might want in a next-gen game, and turning it to utter crap - which defines the Midway method. Which means that we, as designers, are in a great position - because we can actually build games to be games that ruin people's expectations, not just technology showcases any more," Woodroffe concluded.

Look out for updated impressions of Wheelman: Game Party 3 next week, along with more from Simon Woodroffe.

Link here.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-11-2008-10057.html

Corrected for truth.

Quoted for awesomeness!

This is invisible text!

The game comes out in 2 years, I'm sure Epic can make a game that looks a lot better than gears 2 in two years too.