By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How many times a year do you upgrade your rig?

If I believe everything Shio tells me I never ever have to upgrade to play all the newest games on the best settings.

Around the Network

Hmm I upgrade my rig as often as Shio , my Mobo would probably have a heart attack if i put a new Gfx card in it.

I buy an almost top of the range rig, then maybe upgrade it once every 18 months - new graphics card, sound card etc depending on what's going to improve things the most.

Once the system motherboard acts as the bottleneck - usually after 3-4 years - I look to buy a new system.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

twesterm said:
If I believe everything Shio tells me I never ever have to upgrade to play all the newest games on the best settings.

I always upgrade once, Graphics Card + Ram usually at once. After 5 years or so I buy a new PC and the older PC will be used by my parents for misc stuff (last time though I was forced to buy the newer PC only 3 years after the previous one due to not gaming related affairs).

I have never switched a motherboard. Though when someone upgrades mobo, it's almost like buying a new computer (only cheaper).

My brother's PC (over 5 years old) is still being used for new games today, and when I buy the recently released and Lucas Arts quality Adventure game "A Vampyre Story" he will play it on his crappy PC. There will be alot of great PC games that will still run old PCs, and if you don't believe that, then it's clear you don't know much about PC gaming.

shio said:
twesterm said:

I always upgrade once, Graphics Card + Ram usually at once. After 5 years or so I buy a new PC and the older PC will be used by my parents for misc stuff (last time though I was forced to buy the newer PC only 3 years after the previous one due to not gaming related affairs).

I have never switched a motherboard. Though when someone upgrades mobo, it's almost like buying a new computer (only cheaper).

My brother's PC (over 5 years old) is still being used for new games today, and when I buy the recently released and Lucas Arts quality Adventure game "A Vampyre Story" he will play it on his crappy PC. There will be alot of great PC games that will still run old PCs, and if you don't believe that, then it's clear you don't know much about PC gaming.

So you actually upgrade about every 2.5 years then?

Around the Network

2 years gap. Will get shorter as my pay rises, since i love upgrading, but never have enough dough for it(like girls and shopping)

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Once a year... it's a tax right off, so it's virtually a free upgrade for me.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Once every six years. I think a game released in 2012 should work on medium settings on a PC built in 2006 but that won't happen.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Whenever I feel the gap in the technology has grown big enough for me to warrant a new system. So usually every 3-4 years.

I may pick up a new GPU during that time.

Every 2 years...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."