By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - MN Senate Race - Ballot Challenges are getting desperate

stof said:
Quick question. Is the U.S. similar to Canada in that if someone accidently spoils their ballot, they are entitled to receive another? I know it's always going to hit a fraction of the voting population, but what prevented any of these people from saying "oops, I made a mistake, can I have another ballot please?"

At the polling location absolutely. 

But since there are no identifying marks allowed you obviously couldn't once you left the polling location.

That's how I understand it at least, and I can honestly say I've never had to get a new ballot and I've never had my ballot look anything even remotely like any of these =P I don't take chances on my ballot, my marks are decisive and clear.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I think the thumbprint vote should count for Senate, but I think they should change the McCain vote to Nader. It's clear this man changed his mind and then he happened to spill ink on his thumb while losing his pen.

I think the thumbprint one should be counted.

Edit: I also think if a person accidentally or purposely places an identifying mark on the ballot it should still be counted.  A person should never be forced to ID themselves but should not be barred from choosing to do so either.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:

I think the thumbprint one should be counted.

Edit: I also think if a person accidentally or purposely places an identifying mark on the ballot it should still be counted.  A person should never be forced to ID themselves but should not be barred from choosing to do so either.

Except how do you know the person put their identifying mark and not someone elses. A secret ballot needs to be entirely secret.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

How do you know that the extra marks aren't placed by someone else?

There's a certain point where you have to trust the polling officials.

Edit: I left several selections blank on mine, I have to trust that someone doesn't fill those in.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

@ steven - does the U.S. allow observers from the political parties to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

steven787 said:

Edit: I left several selections blank on mine, I have to trust that someone doesn't fill those in.

Sorry.  I filled yours in, wrote Lizard People everywhere, and submitted your ballot in Minnesota.

@Stof,

Yes...and then no.

Routinely in a district controlled by one party the observers from another party will be tossed out. Usually they make crap up like "they were becoming violent" or more typically they are vague saying "they were being disruptive".

What they do once they are gone is anyone's guess...but I don't think they are stuffing the ballots for the other party =P

stof said:
@ steven - does the U.S. allow observers from the political parties to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen?

I'm not sure.  I've left parts blank before, and I put my ballot into this weird thing before anybody saw it.  Maybe somebody could have filled in my blanks during the counting process all these years.  I have no idea who's present during the counting.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
steven787 said:

Sorry.  I filled yours in, wrote Lizard People everywhere, and submitted your ballot in Minnesota.

Here is the pic of the guy who actually voted for Lizard People:

I don't know..you guys could be brothers =P