By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - WSJ: Democracy loses if Prop. 8 is overturned.

Well thats the current standing. As of right now they aren't denying anyone anything. They are just giving tax-breaks to those who are married. A design that supported the American family when it was instituted.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

They should eliminate those marriage tax cuts. The government should have nothing to do with religious stuff or any other endorsements of religion.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Commando said:
Well thats the current standing. As of right now they aren't denying anyone anything. They are just giving tax-breaks to those who are married. A design that supported the American family when it was instituted.

They are denying sam sex couples the tax breaks.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

same sex couples that aren't MARRIED* key word.

It's a marriage tax break, not a hetero tax break.

40 year old virgin males don't get a tax break either, just for the record, along with straight bachelors.

Around the Network

Two couples without kids. One gets a tax break, the other doesn't. Makes a lot of sense.

Well OK, Steven here is the thing.

I for 1. believe that if we are to speak of ideal life in the country that we should be at a point where we don't need to give Thousands upon thousands of dollars per person every year in taxes. I would agree to the abolishment of marriage tax-breaks (as I have thought of myself) in the instance that WE ALL get monumental tax breaks, evenly and across the board. (I.e. everyone's taxes get slashed by 70% of what it is now reguardless of whateva, and then we go from there).

I think it's absurd that we have so much of our paycheks robbed from us every two weeks.

onto 2. The problem is that life in America is not so. Taxes are outrageous for all. For a someone to get married an the wife to get pregnant (as my situation was this past year) can entail an enormos amount of expense. Without tax breaks it would be inaffordable for most Americans to procreate. Thus an elimination of those tax breaks is essentially an ANTI-LIFE political move.

now yeah you can say theres artificial insemination and so on and so forth, but what it gets down to, is those things can be marginalized by common though (such, as well they can choose to do that if they can afford that) and the reverse of that stating (so in favor of this, using similar logic, you can state welll 'natural' marriages - most americans - are marginilized and told by the government (in the mind of those samee thinkers, not me specifically)) too bad, you can't have children / decrease surplus population - Ebeneezer Scrooge. [Sorry for the run-on] That is just a line of thinking most people wont go for and will seem very threatening (for lack of a better word) to most, who find themselves as the majority in this nation. I think people would react to "are we turning into Communist China" if said statement was a lobbied bill.

What's that got to do with taxation based on religion?

I lost you there.

You lost me?

Marriage is religious. Some taxes are based on Marriage. Therefore, the government is using religion to decide how much to tax who.