By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Picking up a Blu-ray player at a great price? Thank the PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

"It was estimated that in 1998, Laserdisc players were in approximately 2% of US households (roughly two million).["

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

Yeah well if not for PS3 we would have been able to pick up HD DVD players for even greater prices so not much to thank PS3 for.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
Yeah well if not for PS3 we would have been able to pick up HD DVD players for even greater prices so not much to thank PS3 for.

It's a well known fact that Toshiba was taking a loss on HD DVD players.  I won't get started on all the ways HD DVD was inferior.

dougsdad0629 said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

"It was estimated that in 1998, Laserdisc players were in approximately 2% of US households (roughly two million).["

And?  Hence "super" added to it.  Also... keep in mind.  Blu-ray players are in a lot of households that don't use them.

dougsdad0629 said:
tuoyo said:

It's a well known fact that Toshiba was taking a loss on HD DVD players.  I won't get started on all the ways HD DVD was inferior.

Like sony was on PS3 due to Blu-ray?  Yet it's good when Sony does it... but bad when Toshiba does?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
tuoyo said:

Like sony was on PS3 due to Blu-ray?  Yet it's good when Sony does it... but bad when Toshiba does?

You're taking this out of context.  It is common practice to sell gaming consoles at a loss.  Movie players, however, are not usually sold at a loss.  I'm talking about people's comparisons of HD DVD standalone prices to BD standalone prices.  People were comparing HD DVD players sold at a loss and BD players sold for profit.

Guys, lets trim down those quotes please.

i dont think the ps3 needs to be thanked for this
seeing as its the slow sales starts of blu ray in general and the overpriced discs

i thank those who haven't bought one who drove the prices down to get consumers to buy them

i got my HD dvd player (360) for 20$ (16£) with 5 discs

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

dougsdad0629 said:
tuoyo said:

Apart from bigger disc capacity exactly how was blu ray superior?  On the home cinema forums I use everyone that has both has said picture quality on HD DVD was generally better.  Right from the start HD DVD discs had full interactivity.  And most important of all the hardware was better.  In fact I hear there is no blu ray player yet that meets the quality of HD-35 which came out over a year ago. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
dougsdad0629 said:
tuoyo said:

Apart from bigger disc capacity exactly how was blu ray superior?  On the home cinema forums I use everyone that has both has said picture quality on HD DVD was generally better.  Right from the start HD DVD discs had full interactivity.  And most important of all the hardware was better.  In fact I hear there is no blu ray player yet that meets the quality of HD-35 which came out over a year ago. 

HD DVD was also region free.

Blu-ray is more scratch resistant i believe.