By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamestop CEO: MS Having a Tough Time Keeping Up with Arcade Demand

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
twesterm said:
sega4life said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

What are load times like with this thing?  Not when first starting up your games, but say between levels/areas when no one wants to wait for 3 seconds, much less more.

? did you post in the wrong thread?

I do that sometimes, because I keep to many windows open..

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did...

No, I'm back, seriously asking. 

Please, some examples with multiplat games... level loads in game x are y seconds, etc.

What, Squilliam couldn't enter a PS3 thread and ask how big the install is?  Yes he could.  And you wouldn't ban him.

The load times are exactly the same as they are on the Pro. Why would you think they would be different? For regular gaming, the hard drive is only used for save files — game data is read from the disc. There aren't any games in the 360 lineup that require an install like there are on the PS3.

What you need a hard drive for is online gaming, downloading marketplace content, or the very rare game that actually requires the hard drive (I believe there are currently two).

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

Around the Network
auxerre said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
twesterm said:
sega4life said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

What are load times like with this thing?  Not when first starting up your games, but say between levels/areas when no one wants to wait for 3 seconds, much less more.

Please, some examples with multiplat games... level loads in game x are y seconds, etc.

What, Squilliam couldn't enter a PS3 thread and ask how big the install is?  Yes he could.  And you wouldn't ban him.

The load times are exactly the same as they are on the Pro. Why would you think they would be different? For regular gaming, the hard drive is only used for save files — game data is read from the disc. There aren't any games in the 360 lineup that require an install like there are on the PS3.

What you need a hard drive for is online gaming, downloading marketplace content, or the very rare game that actually requires the hard drive (I believe there are currently two).

Actually, any X360 without a HDD will suffer slightly longer loading times. This argument has gone back as far as the X360 has had an HDD-less option. Some games do cache data on the HDD for shorter loading times (such as Oblivion). I remember when Oblivion came out, that Bethsada said that if you didn't have an HDD, that performance would suffer.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Correct. Some games cache to the HDD, others don't. Load times are longer on HD less systems.

Now for the NXE update, without a HD your looking even worst. Because the load times are pretty bad.

I honestly can't myself without atleast a 120gig HD anymore because of the load time and noise reduction from HD installs. The only exception being Halo 3.

It's just that simple.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
twesterm said:
sega4life said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

well, nobody apparently cares, so stop trying to derail. THIS THREAD DOESN'T EVEN ROMOTELY TALK ABOUT LOAD TIMES.

OT: 

Well, last year everyone thought the arcades were a bad idea, but now it makes more sense. People aren't willing to spend  alot of money, and since the price cut... it just makes sense, suprised it hasn't made more sense though.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Arcade seem to be sold out everywhere. Looks like the christmas season has begun.

Around the Network

double post

They are sold out at my local Bestbuy, Wal-mart and Fred. I haven't been to Target lately so not sure about them. However, the Wii numbers for next NPD is going to be monster, every place I go to have tons of Wii and they are selling.

My local GameStop manager told me that ever since they drop to 199.99 they have been moving the Arcade unit at good rate.

We sold 6 360's today... 4 arcade 2 premium... so yeah those arcades are doing well... on the side note I think we probably could have sole more, but the 360 were on the back of the truck to prevent the horrible atrocity that is a Walmart truck. Today it was vinegar... it stunk so bad our local skunk disappeared.

mrstickball said:

Actually, any X360 without a HDD will suffer slightly longer loading times. This argument has gone back as far as the X360 has had an HDD-less option. Some games do cache data on the HDD for shorter loading times (such as Oblivion). I remember when Oblivion came out, that Bethsada said that if you didn't have an HDD, that performance would suffer.

Never knew that — I stand corrected.

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th