By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The present and future of Sony

There has been a lot of scattered discussion in several threads about Sony's financial situation and future. Discussions like this will become more and more prevalent in the next few months, and there's a lot of misinformation flying around, so I thought there should be a thread to discuss this and accompany the evolution of their situation.

Here are Sony's current problems:

1- Weak Western currencies.

This was already discussed at length in this article, and it's something which also affects Nintendo (although the impact is much worse for Sony). If you want to know why this is such a big problem for them, you can read that article or this one.

This is so much of a problem that according to an article from yesterday, Sony is increasing the price of products it ships to retailers in the UK by up to 33%. No news yet on whether this will affect consoles and games, or if it also extends to other European countries.

2- Fragile profit margins

If you check out Sony's official Investor Relations page, you can see their financial data many years back. For illustration, let's look at the main indicators, revenue and profit for the latest financial years and quarters. The profit margin is simply the profit divided by the revenue, and indicates how much money Sony makes off of every Yen (or dollar or whatever) they have in sales.

Year/quarter Revenue (billion Yen) Profit (net income, billion Yen) Profit margin
2005 fiscal year 7457 123.6 1.65%
2006 fiscal year 8296 126.3 1.52%
2007 fiscal year 8871 369.4 4.16%
2008 first quarter 1979 35 1.77%
2008 second quarter 2072 20.8

1.00%

This has been one of Sony's biggest problems, and Sony's CEO has been pledging to solve it, as you can read in this article.

For reference, Microsoft usually has profit margins of around 30%. Before the currency problem explained above, Nintendo also had great profit margins of around 25%, and after that they fell to around 10%! That alone should tell you how much of a problem the currency exchange factor poses. It's important to note that the currency problem has gotten worse since the last quarter, making it very hard to believe Sony can pull a profit during this holiday quarter.

When you're only making one or two dollars for every 100 dollars you get, and you suddenly start receiving 80 dollars for the same products, that spells big trouble.

3- Lower consumer confidence due to the economic crisis

This doesn't seem to affect the gaming market a lot, but it does affect Sony as a whole. For information on this, there are tons of reports about lower retailer sales and expectations for the holiday season. Some articles:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

There are also specific reports on how it's affecting Sony's products, for example:

Sony's TV sales slump
Blu-Ray sales forecast down

4- The economic crisis is nowhere near over

There are tons of articles about this, but here are two:

Article 1
Article 2

Discussion

The factors above, IMO, create a perfect storm for Sony. This is not yet very discussed if you look at the mainstream media, but I believe in January after Sony releases its earnings it will become more and more public, and then we may start seeing Sony's actions to get the company to survive the storm. I'd be very surprised if Sony doesn't become a smaller company in the next few years.

What do you think Sony will do? Big layoffs? Getting out of some markets or cancelling product development?

In my opinion, the best case for Sony is:

1- A recovery of the Western currencies during next year.
2- A successful downsizing/restructuring which allows them to become profitable even with lower consumer purchases.

We could get to a point in which most people don't have money to buy the sort of products Sony makes, making it impossible to justify the existence of such an electronics giant.

The worst case is, of course, bankruptcy. If Sony can't or doesn't want to change itself quick enough, they may have to get "bailed out" (a very fashionable expression these days) or file for bankruptcy, which would either end the company or force it to sell off a lot of its parts.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Sony doomed confirmed? LOL!

Good information NJ5!

Hmm I may have to revise even my modest price-cut expectations. Theres a chance the PS3 will not recieve a price cut next year. They can't have the whole company dipping into the red, if they have to they'll sacrafice SCE before they give up the whole.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Good information NJ5!

Hmm I may have to revise even my modest price-cut expectations. Theres a chance the PS3 will not recieve a price cut next year. They can't have the whole company dipping into the red, if they have to they'll sacrafice SCE before they give up the whole.

Talking about price cuts in the current climate is more academic than anything else. They're more likely to increase prices (as they're doing in the UK with some products) than to decrease them.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

NJ5, I think your concluding thoughts are at least slightly alarmist, but overall I'm amazed at how well researched this is. Excellent job.

As a last note, I'd recommend finding some links about debt/interest. Sony has significant debts, while Nintendo and Microsoft, in comparison, have none.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

A very doom and gloom assessment although that doesn't make it any less true. What do I think Sony should do? I think for their electronics division they could release a new budget line of products, although this would then taint their brand of being notorious for offering the best of the best...something of which is increasingly losing notoriety i might add. The global recession has turned it into a whole 'needs vs wants' thing - people need tv's but they don't want to pay premium for the Sony badge, people want a games console but they don't need to pay extra for the PS3. If they were more middle-ranged with quality/prices they'd probably be feeling less hurt. I'm guessing the loss-leading strategy will be out next gen and it all doesn't bode well for the looming price cut early next year.

...Very worrisome. Very worrisome indeed.

I don't have anything in particular to contribute, but I'm very curious about how this will play out.

But if they don't cut the price, another 6 months of status quo in the console market will see PS2 revenues drop even further and the Xbox 360 could shoot out to a 10 million unit lead by June. Thats a pretty unrecoverable loss for them and long term its not good for their future profits.

Tease.

Sony is arrogant, so is microsoft, but atleast MS is being smart about making a really really cheap SKU version of there console strictly for gaming.

If sony did that with say a NEW 20GB model with certain features reduced/ gone altogether while adding free PSN games/support and a "Greatst Hits" game of cheap proportions, then it'd be smooth sailing.

But nooo, sony would never stood to such a level because atm they still insist there doing so well with the PS3.

If it wasnt for the Legend itself the PS2, aswell as there powerful "On the Go" Station then they'd be screwed no strings attacthed....

All in all somethings gonna break there bane one day and they'll have to give in. (DMC4 pun semi-intended)