By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the 360's failure rate? AKA is RROD still a big problem?

Tecmo said:
Does anyone know when the Jasper models will be officially released?

Nope! But based on evidence so far, the Falcon models were good but not brilliant in terms of reliability and the new(er) revisions of Falcon are better still. Seriously if you want the system you shouldn't worry.

Tease.

Around the Network

I am a manager in the industry, and I can tell you first hand the failure rate I have witnessed, even with the newest SKUs released, is near 40%. You may be lucky enough to not have your 360 die on you, about 60% have never failed. Some brand new systems die after 15 minutes out of the box. Microsoft does have a 3 year warranty to replace your unit with another refurbished unit within about 6-8 weeks after sending your broken unit to them, however this only covers the red ring issue, not other 360 failures that are just as common. Microsoft also does not warranty scratches and laser burns that the 360 commonly causes games to have. There is a class action lawsuit in California against Microsoft for selling lemon game consoles as new, presumably working, units.

u tell me from what i say, i know abt 6 ppl who own xbox 360's, what were the chances that all 6 of their 360's died....hol on! not jus once 3 times......... and i got a ps3 and they got a 360 around the same time. mynes is perfect and shiny while theirs is in the trash or with microsoft. 360 may have some great games but they need a great hardware to back it up. I want a 360 too but i don't trust them. with boxing day coming up and bestbuy bringing out better and better bundles i might just end up getting into the 3 yr trap O.O damn you gears 2.

Infinity said:
I am a manager in the industry, and I can tell you first hand the failure rate I have witnessed, even with the newest SKUs released, is near 40%. You may be lucky enough to not have your 360 die on you, about 60% have never failed. Some brand new systems die after 15 minutes out of the box. Microsoft does have a 3 year warranty to replace your unit with another refurbished unit within about 6-8 weeks after sending your broken unit to them, however this only covers the red ring issue, not other 360 failures that are just as common. Microsoft also does not warranty scratches and laser burns that the 360 commonly causes games to have. There is a class action lawsuit in California against Microsoft for selling lemon game consoles as new, presumably working, units.

Im calling BS on this.

If my internet wasn't so slow I would show you the NeoGaf RROD graphs. Its about the only source of data on the internet thats been compiled anywhere and is available for distribution to people.

Also I have never seen anyone who isn't known to be biased against Microsoft/Xbox 360 post that they've had 17 friends and their dog all had 360s and they all broke down.

I haven't personally seen or known anyone with an Xbox 360 who has had RROD, so anecdotes are everywhere.

Tease.

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/10/17/xbox-360-rrod-class-action-lawsuit-filed-california

Around the Network

Don't listen to desperate new posters in this topic TC, there is almost no chance whatsoever if you purchase a new 360 that it'll RROD. Top that off with downloading games to your harddrive so no hot air emits from the 360 and the disk doesn't spin = no RROD whatsoever, fullproof.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Squilliam said:
Infinity said:

Im calling BS on this.

If my internet wasn't so slow I would show you the NeoGaf RROD graphs. Its about the only source of data on the internet thats been compiled anywhere and is available for distribution to people.

Also I have never seen anyone who isn't known to be biased against Microsoft/Xbox 360 post that they've had 17 friends and their dog all had 360s and they all broke down.

I haven't personally seen or known anyone with an Xbox 360 who has had RROD, so anecdotes are everywhere.

biasd? didnt i say im gettin a 360 this boxin day....n how much i like gears....dont get mad cuz 360's break down accept it. A lot of ppl who say that are not against ms jeez they wanna get it themselves and are scared to so they are warning others. even freakn store employees will let u know about all the 360 problems right in ur face. u gna call them biasd too. jus cuz u avent known anyone doesn't mean its not true.

the red ring is still alive i promise you that. I had an older one.....broke down. I fixed it up started showing signs of craping out then sold it >.>.

Friend Alex got on older one....broke 2 times....he had to pay 100 one of the times. He got fed up and bought the "Falcon chip." Broke another time but now its under warranty, but he still has to wait for the new console to come in.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Yea all 360's have a huge chance of getting that RROD, why even waste your hard earned cash just to have it break on you... PS3 is where the real Next gen gaming is at.