By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on Wii and gaming in general

Gamerace said:
Personally, I like to feel like I'm actually golfing when I play Tiger Woods and feel like I'm actually aiming a gun when I play a FPS and loved the kinetic feeling of tossing people and clubing them in Godfather (and soon Madword). I'm also looking forward to feeling like I'm actually snowboarding when I play Shawn White on my balance board. It's the immersion factor that I enjoy with the Wii.

But I can understand why some prefer to stick to what they grew up with but as bardiverse notes, this may be the last generation for those types of controls.

Crap. I knew I forgot about a game. I wanted to get the new Tiger Woods.

Around the Network

Why do people think you have to "jump around, swing things, or exercise" in order to play a Wii game?

I have never jumped around with my Wii.
With the exception of Wii Sports, I have not swung anything.
Maybe after xmas when I open Wii Fit, but I really don't consider it an exercise, just more of a game with fitness tools to assist my exercise and diet outside of the game.

Then there are the other 30 or so games i have purhcased and played. NONE of which caused me to get up of the couch or do any more movement than a slight wrist twitch.

Quit watch your 9 yr old play, she isn't a solid gamer yet, they are the ones who took a NES controller and tilted it as you turned in RC Pro Am. They don't play right.

superchunk said:
Why do people think you have to "jump around, swing things, or exercise" in order to play a Wii game?

Maybe after xmas when I open Wii Fit, but I really don't consider it an exercise, just more of a game with fitness tools to assist my exercise and diet outside of the game.

Then there are the other 30 or so games i have purhcased and played. NONE of which caused me to get up of the couch or do any more movement than a slight wrist twitch.

Quit watch your 9 yr old play, she isn't a solid gamer yet, they are the ones who took a NES controller and tilted it as you turned in RC Pro Am. They don't play right.

The only time I've jumped around was the Jump Rope microgame in WarioWare. Even then, I wasn't "jumping around", just jumping in place.

superchunk said:

^ This.

Actually speaking of playing to relax, I love to play Endless Ocean or currently Sam & Max, one handed, while sitting and relaxing on the couch drinking a nightcap. That's playing to relax. How you relax playing FPSs is beyond me.

Around the Network
Roflinator said:
superchunk said:

^ This.

Agreed. The whole problem is people act as though the typical gamer can be put into some sort of definition. The problem with this idea is that they cannot. Gamers come in all shades, some like fps alot, some like rpg alot, some like sports games, some like racing, some like action adventure, etc. Sometimes a gamer will like maybe one or two of these genera, sometimes a gamer may like all but a couple. But, they are no less a gamer for it.

The other problem is that with philosophy of gaming, the trend is the same. Each gamer has his or her own idea about what makes a game good. Some games everyone can agree are crap, some we can mostly agree that they are good, but there are ALOT of games where there will be disagreement. Maybe you do not like the wii. That's ok with me. You have a right to like the system of your choice. But, the problem is people try and come here and say "i'm a grown up gamer so now HD systems are the key to everything". Then they blame the wii for gaming dying. This is a problem. Enjoy the games you play, you don't have to come and tell everyone that they are wrong.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

To each his own I guess. I´m 31 and love my Wii, I have multiple games on it that I enjoy and doesn´t require "jumpin around" and I have two games that I already consider among the all-time classics, Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii. I guess some could consider me childish but I see that as a complement, I just have plain fun playing Nintendo´s games, just like I have had all the way back to the NES.

Also the games that are avaliable at the Virtual Console are worth getting a Wii for if anything, it´s simply the best god damn gamelibrary ever in my opinion. Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Kid Icarus, Super Mario Bros and World, Street Fighter II, Legend of Zelda, Sim City, Mega Man 2, Sonic 1 and 2... the list goes on.

jsheedy said:

After college, a new type of video game started to emerge, the FPS. ... Even at my elevated age today I still like that genre, evident by my selections of Resistance one and two and COD4.

I guess all that "boring" history brings me to my final point.  I have always played video games to sit down and relax.  If I want to jump around, swing things, or exercise I get out to do these things.  I don't want to do it while playing a game

Oh well, I guess I will just sit back and watch my 9 year old jump around and laugh playing her Wii, maybe some day it will grow on me, but I doubt it.

The FPS games are the type of genre who profits very strong from the Wiimote. For the first time in history FPS-Games are possible on a console with equally (some they better) controls than on the pc. The motion controls are nice, but in my opinion the IR-functions are the most revolutionary part of the wiimote ... and I like the wiimote speaker

Perhaps if you don't know: There is barely a sports game on the Wii which experienced gamers could not play off the cuff. Most gamers I know appreciate the more advanced controls that the Wiimote offers than simple button smashing.

And yes, children could have much fun with the Wii too :)

@gamerace: Lol, I agree. Everytime my friends are playing CounterStrike, they seem angry/stressed/mad you name it. They complain about their teammembers sucking etc. and get all pissy when they lose.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

So basically this thread was nothing more than to tell us you have no interest in the Wii.

Good job.

Can I have those few minutes of my life back?

I'll come up with something better eventually...