By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many "new" 360s do you think are purchased due to RROD?

Fewer than those that have bought a new PS2 because theirs failed.

Around the Network

Aaawww...this thread seems to be some imbecilic and ill-prepared effort to tarnish the brand of the 360.

I guess those whose allegiance is against the 360/Microsoft cannot accept the fact that the RROD is pretty much a thing of Microsoft's past. It's unfortunate, and quite pathetic...

The 360 is performing well in the market, despite the tactless propaganda that some insist on communicating.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

@ seece

The failure rate was 33% AT launch.

Failure rates are measured in failures per year. A majority of 360s bought around launch already failed at least once after its second year of usage, the 360 is now going into its 4th year so there are very few people who still haven't gotten a RRoD (for example due to limited usage, extreme cooling measures, being plain lucky, etc).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Assuming for example a 100 dollar "repair" cost on average for Microsoft per console (a new console costs 149 Euro around here), the 1.15 billion reserved for repairs covers about 11.5 million 360s repair issues.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I am not saying my anecdotal incident I present is typical, but I have a friend who bought a second 360 IMMEDIATELY after his 360 RRoD'ed, as he felt he really needed his game machine. He did receive his RRoD replacement a few weeks later. Since then he also bought a 'newer chipset 360', and hasn't sold or given away the other two.

Do all RRoD owners do this? I doubt it. I will say I do believe the purchasers of the 360 in it's first three years are definitely more enthuiastic that the average videogame purchaser. If they weren't, how could MS get away with basic online fee's and overpriced HDD's and wireless adapters.

I doubt a large percentage of 360 owners have doubly bought, but I suspect the number is much higher than PS3 or Wii owners.

Around the Network

The number 360s that had RROD and were discarded and repurchased

is equal to

the number of PS3 that are just Blu-ray players and never play a game,

is equal to

the number of Wii that sit unused in a closet somewhere.

Therefore, no one is cheating with sales numbers.

I remember someone here saying they where at there tenth system :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

montrealsoon said:
I am not saying my anecdotal incident I present is typical, but I have a friend who bought a second 360 IMMEDIATELY after his 360 RRoD'ed, as he felt he really needed his game machine. He did receive his RRoD replacement a few weeks later. Since then he also bought a 'newer chipset 360', and hasn't sold or given away the other two.

I know various people who bought a second 360 as a backup unit. If one of the consoles fails, they always have the backup when they wait for the console to return from repairs. Some bought a PS3 in addition. Most of them keep a 360 because they invested too much money on 360 games and add-ons, but they probably will wait when Microsoft releases a new console to see if people are experiencing major issues.

PS3 vs 360 sales

From this article it seems that some defective systems are returned to the retailer and in this case they would get double counted in the sales numbers. Also it shows that even 6 months after the launch of Falcon the number of returns was still high since those were probably non-falcon systems. If 30% of the systems sold before falcon (sep 07) were returned to the retailer, then 16.4% of 13M boxes or 2.2M were returned and therefore double counted.  I am not saying anything about number after sep 07. 

In February 2008 an examination of 1040 Xbox 360s by SquareTrade found a 16.4% failure rate; 171 were returned under warranty as "disabled", 60% of which with general hardware failure.[19][20]. However SquareTrade also admits that their estimates are likely much lower than reality, due to many owners of failed consoles who are getting them repaired directly via Microsoft, they also note that the consoles were only tracked for 6-10 months, and in the longer term, many more consoles will have failed. This ties in with most other sources claiming 30%-40% failure rates. [21]

the links are there, 19 and 20. I am assuming the retailer gives back the money in exchange to the defective one which goes to refurbishing but if the buyer goes and buys another box with the money from the return it will obviously be counted again.