By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

To a very small percentage of people, the netflix thng could be cool. Its just that you have to pay for Live, and pay separately for Netflix. We all know this, this is not news.

And if that is the case, then to make it worth it, you have to not already have a PC connected to a nice size monitor, or tv, (in which case you would have already been watching netflix movies on your tv)

but it makes me wonder... (and this is a serious question)

If you do go all out for the monthly fees of Netflix, and you choose to watch these movies through your xbox, and not your pc -

is there any reason to ever purchase a movie from the market place?

is this still possible if the netflix account has been created?

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

I thought the normal Netflix watch on demand didn't HD......

I would assume you could still use marketplace because why would they stop a service they can also profit from.......Were talking about Microsoft....lol.......Besides Netflix being a good feature for the 360, Microsoft probably makes a percentage from the signups from Xbox Live customers........

Some movies won't be on streaming Netflix but will be on marketplace......if I wanted to watch a paticular movie and it was on marketplace, even if I get the netflix soon then I would just rent it from the marketplace

thanks MinLo

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

can you stream hd though the pc?

any answers?

Repent or be destroyed

ultraslick said:
To a very small percentage of people, the netflix thng could be cool. Its just that you have to pay for Live, and pay separately for Netflix. We all know this, this is not news.

And if that is the case, then to make it worth it, you have to not already have a PC connected to a nice size monitor, or tv, (in which case you would have already been watching netflix movies on your tv)

but it makes me wonder... (and this is a serious question)

If you do go all out for the monthly fees of Netflix, and you choose to watch these movies through your xbox, and not your pc -

is there any reason to ever purchase a movie from the market place?

is this still possible if the netflix account has been created?

1. I think you're underestimating how many people have Netflix already and how many of those people have 360's.  You're also underestimating the people that are getting Netflix just because of this.  It's not like you're paying for two XBL account, you're paying for two separate services that happen to work together.  What you're saying is that someone wouldn't pay for WoW and cable.
  2. For some odd reason you also assume people actually use the Watch Instantly on their computer.  Most people don't because it's not fun to sit and watch a laptop, most people don't have nearly as good sound systems, most people have bigger TV's than their laptop, it's a hassle for most people to hook their PC or laptop to their TV.  Before NXE Watch Instantly was pretty much a waste of time and wasn't that much of a selling point (even though they tried really hard to make it one).  I know A LOT of people with Netflix but I don't know anyone that actually uses Watch Instantly except for *very* occassionaly.
  3. Was their much of a reason to purchase one anyways?  They're about the same price of a movie rental except it doesn't have half the selection so I didn't bother with it much.  I did a little when I first got my 360 but then I realized it was meh.
  4. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get movies from the Marketplace, after all, businesses do like money.

Around the Network
CommunistHater said:

any answers?

Yes, but it's only about 120 or so movies that they have in HD and not all of them are great.

All I did yesterday was watch movies via Netflix on my 360. I'm buying Tomb Raider today, but part of me wonders if offering a service like Netflix (unlimited movies and DVD's/Blu-ray sent to the house) may hurt gaming sales. I only have so much time in my day. It's still awsome. Perhaps too awesome......

It is great... and it has tons of the stuff I watch... docs on Sharks and other predators...

twesterm said:
CommunistHater said:

any answers?

Yes, but it's only about 120 or so movies that they have in HD and not all of them are great.

From the couple of articles I read, they stated that The HD service was exclusive as of now to the 360.....

"Netflix is calling this a "soft launch" since it is only rolling out such a small number of videos for HD streaming. The move mostly serves to stake a claim in the HD streaming market as opposed to being a full offering. Contrary to what others are reporting, HD streaming will be available on all streaming devices when it premieres with the New Xbox Experience. That means that the Roku, LG, and Samsung boxes will all be able to stream these HD movies, in addition to the Xbox 360. The PC and Mac based versions of Netflix, will not, however, be able to stream HD immediately. In addition, streaming in HD will require a large amount of bandwidth. Netflix estimates the requirement being in the 8-10 Mbps range."

"Again, Netflix HD streaming will go live on the New Xbox Experience, which launches on November 19."

from http://news.cnet.com/8301-13515_3-10078091-26.html

or

"Tomorrow is the launch date for the first HD movies to stream from Netflixs service. About 300 hi-def titles will be available through Microsoft's Xbox 360 gaming console, at least to Microsoft Live Gold subscribers."

"Not to be left out of the fun, Roku is saying that HD titles will come to its box by year's end. No word when other customers will get hi-def streams from Netflix, including TiVo, Blu-ray and even PC-based subscribers."

from http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-download/2008/11/18/netflix-to-begin-streaming-hd-videos.html

Both recent articles......Both practically stating the same thing about the HD......I don't have Netflix so I'm not 100% certain.....

But from what I understand from reading it is that Netflix HD just premiered with the launch of NXE.......The stream boxes that connect to your HDTV can get HD to content but seems like computers still can't...?lol?

Yeah I absolutely love Netflix on my xbox. It was the reason for me signing back up with netflix!!