By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Third parties don't "get" the Wii, more

Khuutra said:
Esa-Petteri said:

No, I won't play those games that long. I really have no interest in such games. :)

Then you have no foot to stand on, and your perspective is insufficient to actually participate in a conversation concerning whether or not Wii Sports is a minigame collection.

Thank you for invalidating every post you've made concerning the topic up to this point.

Nice one!

Now if I am not interested in something, I can't have an opinion about it. That is just brilliant. You are really something else. :)

Around the Network

1. Stimulus doesn work, tossing money around just because you have money is not smart at all.

"If a man is starving and asks for help what do you do? Do you give him the fishing rod your using to fish or do you give him the fish you found?"

Give the man the fishing rod and get a newone for yourself.

2. These alleged companies that will go bankrupt like Midway have gotten closer to biting the proverbial dust than they are now and that was before the Wii, those companies are just stale.

3. Consumers are the mercury in this thermometer, not other Publishers or developers.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Esa-Petteri said:
Khuutra said:
Esa-Petteri said:

No, I won't play those games that long. I really have no interest in such games. :)

Then you have no foot to stand on, and your perspective is insufficient to actually participate in a conversation concerning whether or not Wii Sports is a minigame collection.

Thank you for invalidating every post you've made concerning the topic up to this point.

Nice one!

Now if I am not interested in something, I can't have an opinion about it. That is just brilliant. You are really something else. :)

You're certainly allowed an opinion. You just don't have any perspective on the facts, which is itself a fact. I don't like it any more than you do! I wish you would invest time in the games so we could have a reasonable discussion about them. But you won't. So we can't.

Esa-Petteri said:
@bdbdbd

Because this thread is about third parties... as far as I know, they can't make mario-games. Well, there is mario&sonic but still.

I agree, RRR is a perfect example to all third parties. That kind of game sells on other platform and bombs on the other one. Just like CoD:WaW.

As I said, I haven't played wii fit so in that case my opinion is based just on the wikipedia page. :) I am not going to play that game ever, so I guess your opinion is better than mine in this case. In any case, our opinions does not matter. It is the third party devs whose opinion matter.

7 days ago EA announced a Wii Fit clone, called EA SPORTS Active.  I'm sure it will fail.  This is the problem many 3rd parties are having, and it's their own fault, not the fault of any mixed messages from Nintendo.  They are copying Nintendo instead of competing with Nintendo.  The genius of Wii Fit was that it had never been done before and took several new great ideas and put them all in one great package with a lot of effort and high production values.

The way to compete with Wii Fit would be to take several new great ideas and put them all in one great package with a lot of effort and high production values, not just copy Wii Fit's old great ideas and rush it out with low prodution values.  This is the same reason that Nintendogs does better than any Petz game on the market, and why Brain Training does better than any of its clones.

If developers are choosing to follow the leader instead of actually competing, then that's their own problem and they deserve to lose their money.  Also, where are the clones of Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart and Smash Bros.?  These idiotic developers don't have the balls to copy those games, so they copy the games that are cheaper to copy.  Because they are wimps in a business that only has room for giants.  There are tiny companies coming out with great original games (World of Goo, No More Heroes, etc.), but it's the big companies that have their heads so far up their asses they don't know how to compete.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Esa-Petteri said:
@bdbdbd

Because this thread is about third parties... as far as I know, they can't make mario-games. Well, there is mario&sonic but still.

I agree, RRR is a perfect example to all third parties. That kind of game sells on other platform and bombs on the other one. Just like CoD:WaW.

As I said, I haven't played wii fit so in that case my opinion is based just on the wikipedia page. :) I am not going to play that game ever, so I guess your opinion is better than mine in this case. In any case, our opinions does not matter. It is the third party devs whose opinion matter.

7 days ago EA announced a Wii Fit clone, called EA SPORTS Active.  I'm sure it will fail.  This is the problem many 3rd parties are having, and it's their own fault, not the fault of any mixed messages from Nintendo.  They are copying Nintendo instead of competing with Nintendo.  The genius of Wii Fit was that it had never been done before and took several new great ideas and put them all in one great package with a lot of effort and high production values.

The way to compete with Wii Fit would be to take several new great ideas and put them all in one great package with a lot of effort and high production values, not just copy Wii Fit's old great ideas and rush it out with low prodution values.  This is the same reason that Nintendogs does better than any Petz game on the market, and why Brain Training does better than any of its clones.

If developers are choosing to follow the leader instead of actually competing, then that's their own problem and they deserve to lose their money.  Also, where are the clones of Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart and Smash Bros.?  These idiotic developers don't have the balls to copy those games, so they copy the games that are cheaper to copy.  Because they are wimps in a business that only has room for giants.  There are tiny companies coming out with great original games (World of Goo, No More Heroes, etc.), but it's the big companies that have their heads so far up their asses they don't know how to compete.

QFT -- you're so frikken smart, I love it!

Innovation, by its nature, cannot be duplicated.

Around the Network

I am also sure it will fail. After all, it is not bundled with a balance board? You'd have to own wii fit to play that game. But what is that? As far as I can see, a lot of the best selling and the most profitable 3rd party games are copies of wii play/sports. Carnival games and so on don't have to sell as much as wii sports to make a pretty nice profit.

The problem with smg,kart and smash bros is the nintendo characters on them. Third parties can't use them, so there is little point to copy those games. What is so great and original about no more heroes? World of goo is excellent. :)

Esa-Petteri said:

I am also sure it will fail. After all, it is not bundled with a balance board? You'd have to own wii fit to play that game. But what is that? As far as I can see, a lot of the best selling and the most profitable 3rd party games are copies of wii play/sports. Carnival games and so on don't have to sell as much as wii sports to make a pretty nice profit.

The problem with smg,kart and smash bros is the nintendo characters on them. Third parties can't use them, so there is little point to copy those games. What is so great and original about no more heroes? World of goo is excellent. :)

I wonder...

Let's say that Mario Kart, Galaxy & Brawl didn't exist, and third parties released essentially those games as IPs (with new, never-before-seen characters), but with the same gameplay mechanics & production value, etc. How do you think they'd do?

I'm sure they wouldn't do the same high level of business, especially at first. The Mario name carries weight, after all, and part of the fun from Brawl & Kart is the mash-up of familiar characters. Still... I think all three would do good business and start franchises that would eventually do very, very well, because the games are all so solid just as they are; I always had fun playing with Roy on Smash even before I had any idea what a Fire Emblem was. :)

donathos said:

I wonder...

Let's say that Mario Kart, Galaxy & Brawl didn't exist, and third parties released essentially those games as IPs (with new, never-before-seen characters), but with the same gameplay mechanics & production value, etc. How do you think they'd do?

I'm sure they wouldn't do the same high level of business, especially at first. The Mario name carries weight, after all, and part of the fun from Brawl & Kart is the mash-up of familiar characters. Still... I think all three would do good business and start franchises that would eventually do very, very well, because the games are all so solid just as they are; I always had fun playing with Roy on Smash even before I had any idea what a Fire Emblem was. :)

In my opinion, they would propably sell something like 25% of what those games are selling with mario on them. :p

Esa-Petteri said:
donathos said:

I wonder...

In my opinion, they would propably sell something like 25% of what those games are selling with mario on them. :p

That is not an opinion.

Esa-Petteri said:
donathos said:

I wonder...

Maybe you're right, especially for the first in a new franchise. Maybe not even 25%. But let's say Mario Kart sells 10m. A quarter of that would be 2.5m, which wouldn't be bad for an IP, right?

The point is, if third parties could innovate (not just copy) something inline with Wii's audience, an audience that gobbles up things like Wii Fit, Brawl, and Guitar Hero III -- but not CoD for whatever reason -- and put it out with the same sort of quality and polish that Nintendo does, they could have great success there.