By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zeebo. Or "wtf, another 7th gen console?!"

Full article here: http://texpine.com/2008/11/12/the-zeebo-console/

The Zeebo Console

Today Tectoy is announcing a major breakthrough for the Brazilian game industry: the Zeebo game console. Zeebo is one of those rare systems released outside USA or Japan. This is exactly why it has a high chance of success.

Introduction to Zeebo

Zeebo is a game console based on Qualcomm technologies for high-end mobile devices. It has a nominal processing power somewhat equivalent to a PSP, OpenGL|ES 1.0 hardware compatibility over a dedicated GPU and is capable of 3G mobile network connection (HSUPA), scaling back at 2.5G (EDGE) or 2G (GPRS) where necessary. It features BREW 4.0 as the operational system, three USB ports for joysticks and accessories, one SD card port, and composite video output along with stereo audio. There is no media - games are downloaded through ZeeboNet network, making Zeebo the first of the forthcoming download-centric generation of game consoles.

Clearly the specs of the system aren’t designed to match the technology of the current seventh-generation. But this is not the point. The goal is rather to implement viable solutions for two major problems of the console business on developing countries - price and distribution -, while presenting good value for players.

Specs (found on wikipedia):

• ARM 11 / QDSP-5 running at 528Mhz
  • Qualcomm Adreno 130 Graphics Core
  • 1 GByte NAND Flash
  • 160 MB RAM, 128 MBytes DDR SDRAM + 32Mbyte stacked DDR SDRAM in MSM7201A
  • VGA (640 x 480) - 4:3 aspect ratio
  • 3G (scaling back to 2.5G or 2G where necessary)
  • 3 USB ports 2.0 Standard A (for accessories)
  • SD Card Slot / Interface
  • Interface: USB HID
  • Power: AC adapter 5V 3A
  • Consumption: 15 W max.
  • Graphics: 1.6 million triangles / second
  • Audio: 8 channels simultaneous MP3, ADPCM, MIDI
  • Resolution: 640x480
  • Size: W x D x H - 157 x 215.4 x 44 mm
  • Weight: 1.3kg
  • Sensitivity: <- 106 dBm (in UMTS)

Power comparable to Wii I think...also, All games will be digitally distributed only.
According to wikipedia article, estaminated release date is set for July 2009 (in Brazil).

OK...I've never expected to see THAT happen. I doubt it will ever be worth to even being tracked in here.

What do you think?

Around the Network

I know my country... people here are waiting for cheap PS3s, nobody is going buy a shitty console like this.

I read about this here in Brazil. This has a very small chance of being a hit of any kind, really any kind at all in my country.

They are thinking that people here who buy PS2 games for 5-10 reais (our currency) will buy a console to download games for 10-30 reais.

Not to mention, the kinds of games they are talking about is Quake 1 (for example). Why would people pay more when they can have a PS2 (with cheaper and better and more games) for less?

To me, this is going to be an absolute failure.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Power is comparable to a PSP, not a Wii.

I think it´s even less. I don´t see this beong sucessful. At all.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Around the Network

What do I think?

I think that I just lost all respect for whoever wrote

"There is no media - games are downloaded through ZeeboNet network, making Zeebo the first of the forthcoming download-centric generation of game consoles."

First? Super Monkey Ball for the Iphone/Ipod Touch sold 300k copies in its first month. I doubt this monstrosity will sell 300 000 copies in its lifetime.

Ahh well, it's 2nd to release downloadable games

Oh wait, no it's in fact 11th (behind PC, Mac, Linux, PSWii60, DS, PSP, Iphone and all other phones)

Zeebo will feature games as FIFA 2008, Need for Speed Carbon, Prey, Crash Nitro Kart and Quake.

In Brazil, Zeebo will be launched with three games installed - FIFA 2008, Action Hero 3D and Brain Training. Evil Prey, Quake and Need for Speed Carbon will be available for download for free, all in Portuguese. In addition to these titles, Zeebo's catalog has more than ten games, all developed for this platform. By the end of 2009 in anticipation of Tectoy is that the quantity of titles comes to 51 games.

sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebo
http://www.zeebo.com.br/games.aspx

SW-5120-1900-6153

haxxiy said:
I know my country... people here are waiting for cheap PS3s, nobody is going buy a shitty console like this.

No, you don't know our country.

People here are waiting for PS3 piracy. (Eles deviam enfiar o cd pirata no cú)

People here are majorly buying Xbox360 and Wii.

Curious then I haven't seen a single X360 here but some PS3s/Wiis but anyways...

But overall yes, Wii tend to win. But mainly because PS3 can't be pirated at low cost.

haxxiy said:
Curious then I haven't seen a single X360 here but some PS3s/Wiis but anyways...

But overall yes, Wii tend to win. But mainly because PS3 can't be pirated at low cost.

I've seen many Wiis and Xbox360s, but I only know two people the have a PS3.

(One bought the PS3 to play the new GH......... ri pra cacete desse cara. Ele comprou o console e ficou sem dinheio pro jogo.)