By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel Core i7 available today

The new Phenoms require AM2+ motherboards btw.

They are more competing with the Core 2 processors and based on reports you should be able to pick up an unlocked one with a 3ghz unlocked multiplier for a pretty reasonable price.

Anecdotal reports indicate it can hit 4ghz on AIR.

Tease.

Around the Network

That's pretty impressive although it still makes quite a difference as to what type of HSF is being used along with the range of core temps that frequency produces.

It is possible to get an E8500 close to 4ghz with an extreme air cooling solution (like a Thermalright True copper ultra-120 with a Delta 120mm fan pushing 120CFM).

Although frankly, once you start pushing those types of CPU freqs, you're just being stubborn at that point by not switching to a decent water cooling solution.

greenmedic88 said:
That's pretty impressive although it still makes quite a difference as to what type of HSF is being used along with the range of core temps that frequency produces.

It is possible to get an E8500 close to 4ghz with an extreme air cooling solution (like a Thermalright True copper ultra-120 with a Delta 120mm fan pushing 120CFM).

Although frankly, once you start pushing those types of CPU freqs, you're just being stubborn at that point by not switching to a decent water cooling solution.

Air cooling can get reasonably close to water cooling and you get the added advantage of the fan cooling the voltage regulation circuitry as well. You still have to deal with that heat and positioning the radiator can be a PITA. I looked into watercooling not too long ago.

Besides! Real men use phase change cooling!

Tease.

these chips are amazing, my dad got this as long as many other things (new mobo, 12gigs of ram ddr3, and two hd 4870x2) it cost him thousands and i was able to make it for him. After i installed crysis, I cant go back to my rig, the game runs too smooth with max AA. This chip is really fast but I dont think it is worth 1000 yet :)

Squilliam said:
The new Phenoms require AM2+ motherboards btw.

They are more competing with the Core 2 processors and based on reports you should be able to pick up an unlocked one with a 3ghz unlocked multiplier for a pretty reasonable price.

Anecdotal reports indicate it can hit 4ghz on AIR.

1. Whats the AM3 socket going to be used for?

2. AMD's reports are anecdotal?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
greenmedic88 said:

Air cooling can get reasonably close to water cooling and you get the added advantage of the fan cooling the voltage regulation circuitry as well. You still have to deal with that heat and positioning the radiator can be a PITA. I looked into watercooling not too long ago.

Besides! Real men use phase change cooling!

Lol!

The best air cooling solutions can match and in many instances even beat a poorly designed liquid cooling system.

Unfortunately, most of the best liquid systems are assembled from hand picked components ($$$). Cost-wise, the returns are only there if you had the misfortune of buying an expensive ($600-1000+) CPU that was from a mediocre lot that required higher voltages to run the same clock speeds as a better sample and you had the ambition of pushing the 5ghz envelope.

But you can always supplement a liquid cooling system with additional fans and heatsinks, particularly on the NB and SB. Even with a liquid cooling system, you're still going to be putting it into a large enclosure with multiple intake and exhaust fans.

It all boils down to what type of OC performance you're pushing for to determine the best cooling solution, whether it be air or liquid.

I feel air is fine for all but the most extreme instances, which is why I'm not quite sure what's the point of some of the less efficient cooling kits I've seen on the market (they're inexpensive mainly I suppose).

But water cooling is definitely in my future, even if it's just for OC experimentation.

a12331 said:
these chips are amazing, my dad got this as long as many other things (new mobo, 12gigs of ram ddr3, and two hd 4870x2) it cost him thousands and i was able to make it for him. After i installed crysis, I cant go back to my rig, the game runs too smooth with max AA. This chip is really fast but I dont think it is worth 1000 yet :)

Only for extreme OC purposes, just like the QX Core Extremes.

That $1000 price tag is buying you an unlocked FSB multiplier for all intents and purposes. If you're not using it to overclock, then yes; it's definitely NOT worth $1000.