By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The better console for value.

MikeB said:

BTW, what do you mean with regard to Resistance 2's graphics? That was Killzone 2.

I think he means quotes of yours like these (google is wonderful):

MikeB said:

To me however Resistance 2 with its huge bosses and Killzone 2 look graphically well beyond Gears 2. I think Gears 2 will push the 360 to its limits technically and will show a nice upgrade in graphics and technicals in general, it's been 2 years since the original Gears launched, so that's not really surprising.

MikeB said:

Technically it shouldn't be hard for Insomniac to go well beyond Gears of War 1 & 2 at this point from various perspectives.

MikeB said:

Currently Resistance 1 could be redone in 1080p, 60 FPS, that's the point we are at right now

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ NJ5

And do you understand those quotes in their proper context?

So Gears 2 isn't better than Gears 1?

Yes, I consider huge bosses to be part of the impressiveness of the Resistance 2's graphics performance. Insomniac's game engine goes beyond Gears 2 in various ways from various perspectives, of course the bosses are huge, I mean huge in the sense like we have never seen before in a game like this, also lag free solid 60 player squad battles and 8 player co-op are techincally impressive and go well beyond Gears 1's 4 vs 4 or Gears 2's 5 vs 5 battles.

I however also stated in the past that Killzone 2 will have more polished assets than Resistance 2, which is not surprising considering the amount of time and effort (manpower) spend on this title vs a smaller team releasing new games on a yearly basis.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

You did say "graphically well beyond Gears 2" when talking about Resistance 2. Don't try to spin it now as if the context of the quote could change this basic fact.

@ NJ5

I said technically, so this includes scale, onscreen activity and also includes graphics quality for mass multi-player online gaming (You may have noticed devs usually making significant sacrifices for online gameplay).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Do I have to repeat your quote? No, I don't, it's right up there and it says "graphically".

Around the Network

@NJ5

What you don't understand?

Graphically means everything you see, for me it looks to go well beyond Gears 2 technically.

Gears 2 seems like a shorter less open game to me, it's probably a roller coaster ride like experience. Assets overall seem well polished, maybe better than Resistance 2 in that sense, but many of the same weaknesses of the first game also apply.

Resistance 2 is a lower profile title, but it's clear Insomniac are very talented guys and probably created the best shooter for 2008. They did 3 very extensive different game modes, 2 different story campaigns (a normal campaign and a co-op campaign), the complexity is amazing and it's only 1 year since they released Tools of Destruction.

PS3 vs 360 sales

So everything went as planned, and Resistance 2 is all you expected it to be, totally proving its graphical superiority against Gears of War 2?

Took you long enough to admit that.

@ NJ5

Yes, from what I have seen so far Resistance 2 and Gears 2 both meet my expectations (unlike for instance Halo 3 and Mass Effect)

Regarding technical graphics superiority I referred specifically to the huge bosses. Overall I think more time was spend on Gears 2's assets to make everything look as slick as possible from an artistic standpoint. I think Epic made a similar point in an interview, the graphics artists invested a lot of effort to make the underlying technology look as slick as possible. Obviously Insomniac as a small company doesn't have the same manpower and Resistance 2 was a huge enough undertaking as it is.

PS3 vs 360 sales

BLAH!, Who is really going to buy a 360 with out a hard drive and not go on line. Yes the 360, in the short term is better value. mid to long who is to say. It does seem to be quite fallible. Anyway, are you happy with your 360? of course you are. Are there games on the PS3 you would like on the 360? you would be lying if you said no. Its the same for me, I'm happy with my PS3. I would love to see Mass effect and Crackdown on my chosen hardware but that is life.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

lol Mike you are the master of spin. Just admit that R2 did not graphically meet your expectations. The example you made above makes no sense but what I think your saying is if someone has no political experience they can still have an opinion on politics. Yes they can but their opinion means nothing compared to the historian or the man with the phd in international law.
If Epic was given 6 years to make a game on the 360 like Guerrilla has had with KZ2 I guarantee you their game would look as good as if not better than KZ2. The difference between the 360 and the PS3 is much smaller than the difference between the Xbox and the PS2. You will never see the PS3 have a major graphical advancement over the 360.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers