By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm sad about a certain genre.

its clear that you haven't played LBP. THAT SHIT ITS ADDICTIVE =D

Around the Network

@Jo

How addictive?

I agree that there need to be more 3D platformers out there. I like 2D platformers and all, but 3D platformers are one of the biggest advancements in video game history IMO. I would love for another SMG-quality platformer to be released soon.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

Zim said:
SmokedHostage you didn't address my point about PoP and mirrors edge. Surely they are a more advanced form of platformer. Try them and see.

As to Phoenix_Wiight that's a pretty ignorant statement calling bioshock, mercenaries 2, far cry 2 and dead space the same thing. If you had played any of them you would know why. Mercenaries 2 and bioshock couldn't be more different. Firstly the basic differences, story, core gameplay.

Your statement ''a completley different world, feeling, style of play, and fun to them.'' makes it incredibly confusing as well. Shooters are all set in a different world. It would be insane to say Mercenaries 2's huge open world sunny jungle and cities is the same as Bioshocks underwater sinking 1950's deco city, or dead spaces deserted mining ship. In fact surely there is FAR more variety in shooters.

Platformers? Fire world, ice world, grass world, castle themed level.

Shooters also have different feelings. Shooting in Dead space is nothing like in mercenaries 2. Mercenaries 2 aiming is more floaty and precision is less important, just spray away. Dead space you better damn well change the cutter from a horizontal line to a vertical line to take off that slashers arm. Miss placed a shot? Yea now the enemy is actually harder to kill.

Style of play? Far cry 2 set the grass on fire around a camp, then fire explosives in. Dead space back into a corner and start aiming carefully. Mercenaries 2 run in firing like a mad man, steal a tank, fire like a mad man in a tank.

Also all those 4 shooters are very fun. Bioshock has an incredible atmosphere, interesting story, interesting use of plasmids. Dead space has a cool story, great atmosphere, interesting shooting mechanics etc.

no, I'm sorry, Bioshock seemed really dull to me. I felt like I've played that game before (and I haven't.) It was good, 8.5/10 IMO, no more. The atmosphere was cool, but it wasn't THAT special. The story was cool but it wasn't told very well. Dead Space seemed like the same game to me.

Sephiroth357 said:
@Jo

How addictive?

very addictive especially when you play with people, its tons of fun =D.

PSN people are very friendly.

Around the Network

JRPGs are the real niche genre and their quality is getting worse over time.

Get yourself a DS. It may not be the prettiest as far as graphics are concerned, but it may be your last hope for new, quality platformers. 3D platforms are a little harder to find.

there are a number of platformers for the XBLA

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MontanaHatchet said:
If someone bothered to make a World War I shooter, I'd buy it no matter how much it sucked. The whole war is about how many lives could be pointlessly frittered away. It's perfect for a videogame. There would be a lot of emphasis on machine guns and artillery and less on vehicles. What's not to like?

If the game focused on the western front, as most WW II games do, it would consist almost entirely of trench warfare. You crawl out of a trench and then subsequently die...you respawn in a trench and then subsequently die. It would be one of the more monotonous shooters ever developed.

In regards to the claimed dearth of quality platformers...I am unable to comment. I do not enjoy plateformers; therefore, I do not play platformers. I thought Ratchet and Clank was an exceptional title?

Going 3d has ruined alot of platformers, thats the reality man.

Not just metroid but alot of other games would be better going back to 2d. Even just 3d on 2d scrollers would be a lesson for dev.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.