By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii could sell for over 15 years.

It could happen imo it all depends of nintendo.

Around the Network

Apple is a known threat. But usually the real threats are the unknowns. To wit: who expected Sony to enter the console business back in 1992 when they first started the deal with Nintendo to make a CD add-on? Who would have expected a Japanese playing card manufacturer like Nintendo to start making video games, especially after their waves of failed toy business efforts? Who expected a pack of often high college drop-outs and their little nobody company called Atari would start an entire industry based on video games?

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Apple is a known threat. But usually the real threats are the unknowns. To wit: who expected Sony to enter the console business back in 1992 when they first started the deal with Nintendo to make a CD add-on? Who would have expected a Japanese playing card manufacturer like Nintendo to start making video games, especially after their waves of failed toy business efforts? Who expected a pack of often high college drop-outs and their little nobody company called Atari would start an entire industry based on video games?

True, but with the focus on Gaming today as opposed to the late 70's through early 90's I wonder if any stealth moves can occur anymore.

Plus gaming has much higher entry costs than it did back in the day

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@Avinash_Tyagi.

No offence mate but those predictions u have made are they 4 real.

Tbone said:
@Avinash_Tyagi.

Yes, and they'll come true (or at the very least get extremely close)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
@Avinash_Tyagi.

So u really think Wii will outsell the playstation family with ps1,ps2,ps3 and psp.

Tbone said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
@Avinash_Tyagi.

So u really think Wii will outsell the playstation family with ps1,ps2,ps3 and psp.

Consoles, not handhelds (so no PSP in the mix), yes it will pass the combined sales of the PS1, 2 and 3

numonex said:

How does a 15 or 20 year life span for the Wii sound? The Wii could potentially sell over 300 million consoles providing it sold for 15 years. With the success of the Wii capturing the casual market there is no need to rush a new Nintendo console on the market. So the earliest I see next Nintendo system is around 2016- marking 10th aniversary of the Wii's launch.

Please tell me if this sounds like a plausible prediction. 2016 new Nintendo console?

So the Wiis sells as many as the whole population of america?!! WTF?!! O_o Even Im a fan of the Wii that stats was impossible. And yeah, the PS2 was just 8 years old right now and its popularity will fade next year so 10 year lifespan isnt possible after all. Dont believe in SONY's ten year plan BS...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Tbone said:
@Avinash_Tyagi.

Consoles, not handhelds (so no PSP in the mix), yes it will pass the combined sales of the PS1, 2 and 3

I guess u know how much ps1 and ps2 has sold and ps3 still selling so i wont explain that to so instead all i can say is good luck.

atma998 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
woopah said:
i believe wii sports resort is believed to be the last in the seires, at least for a while

Highly doubtful, Nintendo isn't going to kill off its lucrative cash cow any time soon, no next up is Wii fit 2

Also Wii could survive 15 years, the NES was still selling almost 20 years after its launch, however after about 7-8 years at the latest, another nintendo console will release

Really the NES was still selling in 2005 (3 years ago)? Where in hell did people buy those brand new NES in 2005? 

In Japan they sold the Famicom from 1983 to 2003.

Wii will easily sell for 15 years.

But that doesn't mean Nintendo won't release a new console for 15 years.  Nintendo's next console would be part of the next generation whenever it starts.