By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA is the best country in the world

SamuelRSmith said:
Kasz216 said:
coolestguyever said:
Okay i'm going to have to argue on the best sports comment:

1. Canada is the best at hockey. 'Nuff Said.

2. Europe is way better at football (soccer) than the US

3. The 2 best tennis players are Federer (swiss) and Nadal (spanish)

4. The US has the best individual golfer (tiger woods), but the US often lose the Ryder Cup. Since 1979 when it became US vs Europe, Europe is leading 8 wins to 7 Wins

5. Of course the US wins at American football. USA and Canada are the only countries that play it!

6. Baseball. America's sport. Well South Korea won gold at the 2008 olympics in Baseball, and USA finished 3rd. And go back to 2004 and the US didn't even win a medal.

7. Basketball. US got gold in 2008, but what about 2004 when Argentina got the gold? USA is probably the best in the world at basketball but don't always win. Its becoming more popular around the world. And some of the best players in the league aren't american. Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, all international players.

8. I guess if you want to include rugby then the US isn't the best. New Zealand, Australia, England, Fiji all better than US.

So if you read all this. I pretty much prove the US isn't the best at sports by any means.

4.  Rexamine this one....

Europe is winning 8 to 7...

The USA is one country...  Europe is.... how many?

The population size for Europe and the US are fairly similar. The pools to pick from are roughly the same size, the only difference is that there are language issues that the Europe team would have top ut up with.

Wouldn't having a higher population pool with which to draw exceptionally talented individuals be considered an advantage one nation has over another?

Actual population seems irrelevent in this case.  Since it's a comparison between single nations.

Around the Network

@SamuelRSmith

Europe = 731 million

USA = 305 million

GamingChartzFTW said:

@SamuelRSmith

Europe = 731 million

USA = 305 million

I don't think the Ryder cup pulls from all of europe.

I can think of at least 20 places off the top of my head I'd rather live in than the US.

It's funny being from Canada, you'd think there would be so many staunch similarities between us, but when I drive down into the US, I just have to marvel at all the incredibly overweight people who go into all night buffet steakhouses, and drive enormous SUV's.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

I could understand how arrogance could be met with backlash, but never have I seen a thread with so much bashing of one country.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
I could understand how arrogance could be met with backlash, but never have I seen a thread with so much bashing of one country.

Come on, in its current state you have to admit its pretty low on the excellence scale.

Gobias said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Come on, in its current state you have to admit its pretty low on the excellence scale.

Has it been better? Yes. But it's still one of the best countries in the world. The best? No, probably not. The best country would be impossible to determine because that's like saying what the best flavor of ice cream is. It's entirely opinion, and while some are clearly poor flavors, it mostly comes down to natural bias (a vanilla lover will claim vanilla is the best instead of just admitting it's his favorite).

I think it's just light hearted patriotism rather than arrogant boasting, so I don't see the need for all the bashing.

The best ice cream flavor is cookies and cream. Mint and chocolate chip is a close 2nd. Both are way better than America.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
The best ice cream flavor is cookies and cream. Mint and chocolate chip is a close 2nd. Both are way better than America.

I agree.

Nah, Mint chocolate chip is terrible, cookie dough is way better.

Rubang, with all the crazy, exotic ice cream flavors out there, do you really think that the most basic ones are the best?