By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A definition of hardcore everyone can agree on?

There have been many a thread on this website trying to define hardcore. Some just say anything with blood and guts is hardcore, some say fps, and others pretty much what they just like. There is much argument over what is hardcore and what is casual. Little Big Planet?  Animal Crossing?  Mario? Well I think i have done the impossible. I have come up with a definition....and a way to get everyone to agree on a definition for casual and hardcore.

Hardcore Game - A game that requires a degree of skill which can be perfected with time.

Casual Game - A game that can be played from the get go without much effort.

Well that maybe a definition but how do we test this out. Ladies and gentleman i present to you. The Soccer Mom Test. Yes the ultimate way to determine a game is hardcore or not. How does this work?. It's simple. Give a middle aged non-gaming mother the controller and have her play the game to be tested. If after 30 mins she is still playing at a skill level that would be enouph to finish the game; it is officially casual. On the other hand if she is still bumbling about like a guy paralyzed from the waist down trying to walk or just gives up in frustration; it is officially hardcore.

There are still some games in the middle though that appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers. I listed one of them above. Little Big Planet. The gameplay itself is casual, however the level creating as simple as it maybe will easily brush off casual gamers who just want to go online and play some levels.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network

this won't end well.
The definition of hardcore always ends up being a three way fight between the fans.
generally a casual game is one that doesn't NEED
a hardcore game is one that demands to be played

i guess. there are many interpretations

There is no real one it's just to complicated.....

Former something....

I have better definitions.

1. A gamer that lives in either Japan or California.

2. Games that contain explicit sex acts and content.

3. Disney's new offroad racing game Pure.

Trust me. I put extensive Merriam and Webster research into this, so no need to refute my findings.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@onyxmeth
What??????

Around the Network

onyx are you serious about that japan thing? cuz i'm moving there in a lil bit.

I can finally be hardcore *sighs dreamily*

hehe im moving there too. Was suppose to be this december but its getting pushed back to july cause i have to be 20 to get my spousal visa.

soulsamurai said:
@onyxmeth
What??????

It's a joke. I'm playing on the words of the three real definitions of hadcore and applying them to gaming. I did a spectacular job too. Here's Merriam and Webster's take on it:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hardcore

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

HARDCORE

YEAH!  Theres a least some form of shooting in this game!  NOW THESE ARE HARDCORE!

Casual

LAME, Hardcore's don't want to play with dolls! 

LAME, Hardcore gamers GREW UP. 

LAME, Microsoft only released it because they were worried about Nintendo, but they didn't lose the Hardcore audiance where it really matters!

rofl dinomax