By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

KylieDog said:
"On PSN its the opposite - If a game wants to have multiplayer or chat the developer has to foot the bill and build there own system An example is COD4 - For COD4 Infinity ward has servers maintained and run solely for the purpose of the PS3 version of COD4. Whilst on 360 MS does it for them,"

Right, but the games cost the same either 360 or PS3. So for the PS3 IW foot the bill, and Sony charges you nothing.

On the 360 that same price means IW get more cash since they don't foot the bill, and MS pumps the customer for more cash just to use what they already payed for.

Sorry, but if people need pay MS to go online, then the price of 360 games should be cheaper.

They aren't, and MS is just squeezing extra cash from its customers with the allusion that they are getting a better service because of it.

No MS if offering an extar service we can private chat with anyone and have firens list that cross games, I am willing to pay for that service

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network
xman said:
KylieDog said:
"On PSN its the opposite - If a game wants to have multiplayer or chat the developer has to foot the bill and build there own system An example is COD4 - For COD4 Infinity ward has servers maintained and run solely for the purpose of the PS3 version of COD4. Whilst on 360 MS does it for them,"

Right, but the games cost the same either 360 or PS3. So for the PS3 IW foot the bill, and Sony charges you nothing.

On the 360 that same price means IW get more cash since they don't foot the bill, and MS pumps the customer for more cash just to use what they already payed for.

Sorry, but if people need pay MS to go online, then the price of 360 games should be cheaper.

They aren't, and MS is just squeezing extra cash from its customers with the allusion that they are getting a better service because of it.

No MS if offering an extar service we can private chat with anyone and have firens list that cross games, I am willing to pay for that service

that service is not far from being on playstation. I'm just wondering if we will pay for it too.

Sardauk said:
misteromar mk4 said:

The first of the 3 console makers that make decent free online will have a great selling advantage, that will make them more money than charging monthly subscription.

I don't agree. You get what you pay for and XBL proved that an online service with subscription (don't forget the NXE and the marketplace) is the most interesting offer.

It is not only about playing online... DLC, attractive marketplace, evolutive NXE architecture development to enhance party gaming ... those stuffs aren't free .

If a company can achieve "decent" free online offer than good for them... but I'm looking for a BMW, not a Fiat ...

Why get a BMW when you can get a Farrari ? (ps3) ;)

PSN is equal to or infact better than Live. I haven't had any online problems and users don't run the servers which generally means less/no lag.

Furthermore XMB is superior to the Xblades (why else would microsoft make their new interface a clone of it?)

Check out my game about moles ^

staude, cmon, everyone knows live is better than psn ok? I'm not being sarcastic. It is a lot simple, faster, and polished. It also has more things you can do like cross game chatting and such.

The real question though, is "how much better is it?" "Is it worth 200$ for four years of it compared to 0$ for PSN."
I believe PSN will get better. I believe they will rival Live someday. They may charge though, so don't end up eating your words man.

The COD4 example, isn't that just so the game has Trueskill enabled? I have both PSN and Live and still to this day, with exception of some chat features prefer PSN. I do like the Live ranking system in theory but there are too many ways people have found to manipulate that. My madden experience on Live from madden 08 made me purchase 09 on ps3.

I still wish games had cross platform multiplayer, like madden and cod. I understand it would be alot of work and would require hella unlikely agreements but we can still dream.

edit: sorry for derailing this thread entirely back to post 1.

Around the Network

MS already makes money off of live by selling you games online.

Charing a monthly fee is like being charged to shop somewhere.

Do you realize that at $10/month over 10 years you'll end up paying 1,200 for the privilege of being online?

I can think of a lot of better ways to spend my gaming money than lining MS's pockets!

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

They have servers i know, but they don't have to rely on them as much.  As far as i know every xbox live game has to have a host to connect.  I could be wrong on this tho.  I just know that my xboxlive crashes far more often then my psnetwork, and holds half the peeps.

pieschl05 said:

They have servers i know, but they don't have to rely on them as much.  As far as i know every xbox live game has to have a host to connect.  I could be wrong on this tho.  I just know that my xboxlive crashes far more often then my psnetwork, and holds half the peeps.

Same, rarely have I had crashes on psn.  It happens at games launching but other than that none.  Could be the difference in traffic though.

pieschl05 said:

They have servers i know, but they don't have to rely on them as much. As far as i know every xbox live game has to have a host to connect. I could be wrong on this tho. I just know that my xboxlive crashes far more often then my psnetwork, and holds half the peeps.

Wrong agian,Any game can have 64 players it not a big deal,but thats if the game company wants to have 64 players and pay thousands of dollars every month to keep them up and lose money.

@Dasimkin-Id rather pay 5$ a month for every month i game on my xbox,that comes to about 10$ a year w00t.

you just confermed exactly what i said earlier.  It may cost the developers, but im my mind and anyone else who is a fan of large online games its worth it.