By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The reason why you pay for Xbox Live - An attempted Explanation

theprof00 said:
what? you said they didn't have competition during ps1 era and now they do, how are you talking about ps2........wait a minute are you fucking with me!?!?!?!

Ugh?! Your going way off track dude,lol

PS never had real competition during PS1 & 2,Sony PAID rawkstar to keep GTA on PS console's(PS1 and 2) for a while.

Around the Network

Sony definitely had competition, but it just blasted it out of the water, much like the wii is doing now.

I just don't think Sony would pay rockstar to stay exclusive when there are plenty of benefits to being exclusive for the developer and also why would they spend billions when they could pocket it?

DTG said:

I'm sorry but manufacturers have no right milking people for profit. Sony makes a loss on their consoles and on their online to provide us with the best value and quality. The xbox and wii essentially charging us more than the costs to manufacture etc for the sake of profits shouldn't be tolerated. Why pay more for something than it actually costs?? Sony is the only honest VG company in this regard.

Then why are people still paying $150 for a PS2?

Companies exist to make a profit. If Sony could sell the PS3 for more money than it costs, they would, but they're already languishing in third place while selling at a loss. And the reason Sony can't cut price right now is because it would increase the losses they are already experiencing and cause their stock to hemorrhage. That would likely cost a good chunk of their workforce their jobs.

LEFT 4 DEAD - November 17th

well a 150$ ps2 is ultra slim and has like 200 million seller games and 62 90+ rated games....

Edit: Oh and it is BC and most of the games only cost about 20$

theprof00 said:

well a 150$ ps2 is ultra slim and has like 200 million seller games and 62 90+ rated games....

Edit: Oh and it is BC and most of the games only cost about 20$

So? That's irrelevant. They're still selling their console at a profit (and a considerable one, at this point).

Around the Network

value my friend it is all about perceived value. You don't sell something that good for nothing.

Xbox Love is nowhere near that kind of value.

theprof00 said:
value my friend it is all about perceived value. You don't sell something that good for nothing.

Xbox Love is nowhere near that kind of value.

So you're saying that the PS3 is selling way below profitable because they don't have much value?

Yup.
price is a part of value, and there are only 2 AAA exclusives.

Don't get me wrong I love the system, but it doesn't have the perceived value of something like the Wii, which has everything going for it including the style and social desirability/status symbol value.
Just like Xbox Live, the perceived value is redonkulous. But that doesn't mean it is justified. Some things are justified, some things aren't.

theprof00 said:
Yup.
price is a part of value, and there are only 2 AAA exclusives.

Don't get me wrong I love the system, but it doesn't have the perceived value of something like the Wii, which has everything going for it including the style and social desirability/status symbol value.
Just like Xbox Live, the perceived value is redonkulous. But that doesn't mean it is justified. Some things are justified, some things aren't.

To me, value of a gaming console has everything to do with the amount of enjoyment you get out of it in terms of gaming, and nothing to do with style of social value. I've got a Wii and I haven't played it since Boom Blox. To me, I regret paying $250 for it since I don't believe I've received that much enjoyment in return.

On the other hand, I play my 360 every day, and am on Live almost every night. I haven't had this much enjoyment from a console since PS1, which still holds the place of my favourite console ever. In terms of value versus price, I'm extremely happy.

But bottom line is that value/perceived value has nothing to do with companies operating at a profit. If Sony was not making a profit off of their PS2 right now, their PS3 losses would be crippling them even more than they already are. They need to make a profit, and as a fan of their system, you should be looking forward to the day when they can sell their console and make money off of it, since that is the only way to ensure it will enjoy the same longevity and support that its two little brothers did.

@ the OP: One word: Steam.