By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Maguire claims competitors are waning, best is to come from PS3

reask said:

GOT THIS ON GAMES BIZ.

Maguire: "Competing formats are on their way down"

Sony UKs managing director Ray Maguire has admitted that the company takes it time bringing products to market - but he argued that the PlayStation 3 is now hitting its stride as competing formats could be seen as past their peak.

"Yes, we might take a bit longer sometimes to bring a product to market, but when we do, we bring you the most powerful gaming platform ever to hit - and it will be something that will around for a very long time," said Maguire, speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz.

"It's nowhere near even halfway through its lifecycle, and I could argue that some other competing formats are on their way down right now," he added.

Dun dun DUUUNNNNN! 

A Sony PR guy said, "PS3 roxxors"!  Film at eleven!

In other news, Regginator said, "Wii is wiining . . . nee ner nee ner neeee neeerrrrr."

Around the Network

PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Sony PR is dellusional this generation i dont think those boys have contact with reality someties.

I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. Sony and its fanboys are delusional. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Console wars are always going to happen, but this gen is absolutely ridiculous.

1. The PS3 has not even come close yet to 1st or 2nd place. It's barely made a dent in the gap between it and the 360 in 2008 (the alleged "year of the PS3"), and it will never catch the Wii.

2. System sales are not waning. The PS3 is once again being outsold week after week, and it's even been beaten by the 360 in Japan a few times over the last couple of months. The Wii is still not keeping up with demand, and the 360 has hit the sweet spot as far as price.

3. According to VGChartz. the PS3 is currently behind the 360 by 5.81 million units. That's a bigger gap than it was a month or two ago when it was a 5.5 million unit deficit. Basically, the ground they gained from MGS4 is gone. This very site predicted a similar pattern through the holiday season with the PS3 only very slightly outselling the 360 because of a sales boost in Japan.

Despite all of this, I read posts EVERY DAY about how the PS3 is gaining ground, is claiming 2008 as the year of the PS3, and will truly hit its stride in 2009. This is just delusional thinking and it really amazes me sometimes. I think the 360 will eventually lose to the PS3.............probably about when the next gen is about to hit. But that's where the second stage of the delusion kicks in. Do you guys honestly think that Sony is not going to have to release a new console within a year of when the other new systems release?

No matter how much you hate MS or the 360, no matter how much you want your console of choice to "win" this war, you should probably be aware that it's far too late for the other two consoles to die an early death. They have all established themselves as viable systems and will all post good numbers in the end. But it's fascinating that Sony is being so cocky when they are making the system with the weakest sales by a pretty big margin.

Domicinator said:
I've said this a million times and I'll say it again. Sony and its fanboys are delusional. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Console wars are always going to happen, but this gen is absolutely ridiculous.

1. The PS3 has not even come close yet to 1st or 2nd place. It's barely made a dent in the gap between it and the 360 in 2008 (the alleged "year of the PS3"), and it will never catch the Wii.

2. System sales are not waning. The PS3 is once again being outsold week after week, and it's even been beaten by the 360 in Japan a few times over the last couple of months. The Wii is still not keeping up with demand, and the 360 has hit the sweet spot as far as price.

3. According to VGChartz. the PS3 is currently behind the 360 by 5.81 million units. That's a bigger gap than it was a month or two ago when it was a 5.5 million unit deficit. Basically, the ground they gained from MGS4 is gone. This very site predicted a similar pattern through the holiday season with the PS3 only very slightly outselling the 360 because of a sales boost in Japan.

Despite all of this, I read posts EVERY DAY about how the PS3 is gaining ground, is claiming 2008 as the year of the PS3, and will truly hit its stride in 2009. This is just delusional thinking and it really amazes me sometimes. I think the 360 will eventually lose to the PS3.............probably about when the next gen is about to hit. But that's where the second stage of the delusion kicks in. Do you guys honestly think that Sony is not going to have to release a new console within a year of when the other new systems release?

No matter how much you hate MS or the 360, no matter how much you want your console of choice to "win" this war, you should probably be aware that it's far too late for the other two consoles to die an early death. They have all established themselves as viable systems and will all post good numbers in the end. But it's fascinating that Sony is being so cocky when they are making the system with the weakest sales by a pretty big margin.

Basically Sony and other websites are Reassuring Sony fans that they bought the right console,Its them patting Sony fans on the back and say "its ok,Wait till they unlock the full power of the PS3" and to be honest real fans KNOW that,Me and CGI-Quality dont need to be comforted.

Around the Network

I've seen this a million times over now. Getting rather old Sony.

wow... kinda gives  "wait for (enter date here)" a whole new meaning...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

haha... do we have a new Krazy Ken?

He is right. The Wii is struggling and the 360 has stopped selling completely. And if I remember right someone on this site suggested the PS3 will sell 100 billions consoles so it must be true.LOL