By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Exclusive Rockstar Franchise Coming to PS3

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/27/new-rockstar-games-franchise-exclusive-to-the-ps3/

This is Michael Shorrock. I’m the Director of 3rd Party Relations at SCEA. As you may have seen this morning/last night on Gamehead with Geof Keighley, we are announcing that a new franchise from Rockstar Games will be exclusive to PS3. As part of our long standing relationship with Rockstar, and the incredible success for both companies with the cultural icon that is Grand Theft Auto, we’ve agreed to the PlayStation exclusive rights of the next great franchise from the Rockstar studios.

Everyone knows to have success in this business you need to look ahead, identifying the talent and titles that are going to give consumers new kinds of gaming experiences that help set the bar for the rest of the industry. Rockstar has a heritage for doing just that. We have had incredible success with the GTA franchise and are happy to continue to offer those titles on our platforms, and even more excited about what’s to come from the current and future relationship between our companies. Rockstar really wanted to make a game that you can truly only do on PS3, harnessing the power of CELL and Blu-ray disc and this deal lets them do just that.. This is really a win-win situation for both companies. As Jack mentioned in the interview with Geoff, this franchise is not LA Noire, but something all new. We agreed with Rockstar and Take Two Interactive Studios that we wouldn’t disclose anything more about the deal or title at this time, so stay tuned, we’ll share more info as soon as we can.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Okay, so this plus L.A. Noire makes two exclusive R* games on the ps3.  What does the 360 have besides Table Tennis?

Why people think that the 360 will always have the better line up and stronger 3rd party support is beyond me. :|

The PS3 and 360 are sharing most 3rd party games, any significant exclusive is a big deal. Especially one from Rockstar and the word franchise means Rockstar is planning to make many of said game unlike LA Noire which could be a one time thing.

Table Tennis is going to Wii now so it's not really a 360 exclusive.

It is?

If true, then that means that the 360 won't have any exclusive R* games, compared to the ps3 which has two. Granted, an exclusive 360 IP could be announced in the future, but so far, it's 2-0 in the ps3's favor.

makingmusic476 said:
It is?

If true, then that means that the 360 won't have any exclusive R* games, compared to the ps3 which has two. Granted, an exclusive 360 IP could be announced in the future, but so far, it's 2-0 in the ps3's favor.
What about that elusive GTA4 downloadable content? Guaranted that not much is know about those two expansion packs, but we don't really know much about this exclusive franchise either.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

The exclusive GTA download stuff will sell very well on the 360, but as far as impacting how many 360s and GTA IVs will sell on 360 it's not gonna impact much.

It was already gonna sell both machines and software anyway, it's not like someone who wasn't buying a 360 or GTA is now going to because of additional content down the line if they even know about it...

Nice, they can tap that PS3 power without any multi thing holding them back.

is the table tennis game any good?.
i mean i play table tennins in real life but wiiplay just stunk at it....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

ckmlb said:
The exclusive GTA download stuff will sell very well on the 360, but as far as impacting how many 360s and GTA IVs will sell on 360 it's not gonna impact much.

O RLY?  Well this new R* exclusive is going to be terrible and its not gonna impact much.

(!!!! I can see the future too!)

BTW How much did Sony pay for this one?

This is so funny.  All of these 3rd parties, esspecially rockstar, must be laughing their asses off all the way to the bank while sony and microsoft keep paying them for exclusive content/games.  This industry is so backwards.

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:

O RLY? Well this new R* exclusive is going to be terrible and its not gonna impact much.

(!!!! I can see the future too!)

BTW How much did Sony pay for this one?

This is so funny. All of these 3rd parties, esspecially rockstar, must be laughing their asses off all the way to the bank while sony and microsoft keep paying them for exclusive content/games. This industry is so backwards.

Your thinking is whats backwords.

episode content or a whole EXCLUSIVE game, whats more important.