By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic find Gears 2 reviews “humbling”

theprof00 said:
Doesn't humbling mean "to be made less proud"?
Wouldn't it imply bad reviews?

Just in case you didn't read it correctly.

“It’s really humbling to see such great review scores coming in so far, and we’re glad that reviewers have been excited about the many changes we’ve made in the sequel,” he told CVG.

Metacritic is showing the game at a 95 percent average across 18 reviews.

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
theprof00 said:

the use would imply that they believed it should have been a much higher score and they have been put in their place.  possibly even ashamed of their work.

so i think what we should conclude from this is that Mike Capps is an idiot.

yeah that's how i read it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's an idiot.

reask said:
theprof00 said:

“It’s really humbling to see such great review scores coming in so far, and we’re glad that reviewers have been excited about the many changes we’ve made in the sequel,” he told CVG.

we read it right.  the word doesnt match what he is trying to convey.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
reask said:
theprof00 said:

we read it right.  the word doesnt match what he is trying to convey.

reask said:
theprof00 said:

Just in case you didn't know the meaning of humbling;
to make humble in spirit or manner

2 : to destroy the power, independence, or prestige of

and the meaning of humble:

1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission humble apology>
unpretentious
3 a: ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant , b: not costly or luxurious humble contraption>

Why not arrogant? Because they were not given a reason to be.

If he meant that he is really appreciative of everything in no where near to being arrogant then he should have used another word. Unless they were arrogant, proud, and haughty before.

sorry, not trying to be a dick

Around the Network

People need to buy both HD consoles, and appreciate all the goodness. The fanboy hate is just plain whacked.

Humbled is sometimes used to mean acceptance of accolades beyond expectation, as in a politician stating he is humbled by an overwhelming show of support.

I'm amazed that people pick out something like this and drive it into the ground.

oh, well that's different. If a politician says it, then it must be true. you can't really use that scenario.

On a serious note, that situation you refer to is when you realize you are insignificant compared to the situation that is occuring all around you. As in Obama was humbled by being the first african american democratic nominee because he realized how big the scope of it all was.

So in that way I guess it makes sense, even though it is just a game with a relatively small scope.

It's amazing my English understanding is better than some native English speakers here.

And my English isn't that good at all.