By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do i need to replace my speaker's wire if one is louder than the other?

I finially moved both rear speakers to the back of the room, but now theres an even more serious problme. My Rear Right speaker is louder because i used 16gauge wire on it, while i used 24gauge wire on my Rear left speaker. Would this cause problems while gaming? I can't fix it with a volume increase because my "receiver"(z680 control pod) can only set center, sub and surround levels. not each particular speaker.

Around the Network

Have you tried placing the quieter speaker closer to you to make up for the noise difference?

I can't, i have space constraints.

blackbird3216 said:

I finially moved both rear speakers to the back of the room, but now theres an even more serious problme. My Rear Right speaker is louder because i used 16gauge wire on it, while i used 24gauge wire on my Rear left speaker. Would this cause problems while gaming? I can't fix it with a volume increase because my "receiver"(z680 control pod) can only set center, sub and surround levels. not each particular speaker.

24 gauge wire is super tiny for any speaker. This could cause problems and destroy your amplifier if too much resistance is in the wire. (smaller the gauge and the longer the length, the higher the resistance)

I personally would never run speaker wire with less than 14 gauge wire, which is really cheap at monoprice.com.

50ft = $9

100ft = $18

They also carry 16 guage which would match what you have currently for a little less.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Here is the resistance in ohms per foot of different guages

10 .00118
12 .00187
14 .00297
16 .00473
18 .00751
20 .0119
22 .0190
24 .0302

Say you have 30ft of wire on each speaker.

at 24 gauge, you would have

1.812 Ohms of resistance (30ft x 0.302 x 2, since we have to calculate the complete round trip for the signal)

at 16 gauge you would have

0.2838 Ohms of resistance

Since you are probably running 8 Ohm speakers, the 24 gauge side has 18.4% more resistance than the 16 gauge side (9.812 in total vs 8.2838 in total). This will cause a pretty big difference in sound level.

The longer you run the cables and the bigger the difference in cable lenth for each side, the lower the gauge number you want.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Around the Network

so if i connect a 16gauge wire to the rear left speaker, the resistance wouldn't be significant right? What does the resistance do?(since im new to this audio stuff) If i just balance out the 16gauge on both sides, that should give a better audio level and not "destroy" my amp, right?

I made a mistake in my calculations. I just updated it. Basically instead of a 9% difference it is a 18% difference in resistance.

The more resistance, the more power you need to get the same volume output. Hence why the one is quieter.

Yes, having 16 on both sides would balance it out a lot better. If you are running 30-40ft, 16 gauge should be fine. Longer, and you should go to a lower number.

EDIT: I can explain more later, but I need to go to bed.